X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ron thompson
    Low Range
    • Aug 2009

Gear Oil ?

Just bought a Rover with a Fairey Overdrive. Recommended gear oil is EP90 for the overdrive. Will EP75/90 work or is that a mistake? Thanks
  • jac04
    Overdrive
    • Feb 2007

I would be most concerned with using a gear oil without Limited Slip additives. The LS additives may give you synchro problems causing grinding at gear changes. What are you currently using in your transmission & x-fer case?

I've always had excellent results with CRC Sta-Lube 85W-90 GL-4 in my Land Rovers and 68 Camaro 4-speed. No LS additives.

Comment

• TedW
      5th Gear
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jac04
      I would be most concerned with using a gear oil without Limited Slip additives. The LS additives may give you synchro problems causing grinding at gear changes. What are you currently using in your transmission & x-fer case?

I've always had excellent results with CRC Sta-Lube 85W-90 GL-4 in my Land Rovers and 68 Camaro 4-speed. No LS additives.
      I've used synthetic 75-90 for 20+ years with no problems. Still nice 'n quiet (for a Fairey) and smooth shifting. The Fairey has a relatively small oil capacity, so it's wise to check it regularly. The synthetic also helps the unit to run cooler.

Just my $0.02- your results may differ.....

Ted

Comment

Working...