• Zimbos
    Low Range
    • Jul 2013

brake pedal tension

Click image for larger version

Name:	TOP OFF.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	172201hi guys , quick question after a routine Saturday spin my brake pedal became very stiff ,brakes still work any almost no play in the pedal , any thoughts cheers 73 series 3
  • SafeAirOne
    Overdrive
    • Apr 2008

If you're talking about UNUSUALLY stiff (like rock hard), and very little pedal movement, then my instinct would be to examine why the master cylinder isn't releasing the line pressure back into the reservoir when the pedal is released, which would lead me to check the pedal for full return, the pushrod length on the MC, then the valve on the end of the MC piston (depending on which MC you have), then for a blockage in the brake lines and flex hoses.

Oh, I just had a look at your Rover pic--Before any of the above stuff, I'd check that the brake booster is functioning properly. IT's more likely than any of the above stuff that you have a loss of vacuum somewhere along the way.

Does the engine idle change any when you apply the brake? Any new sucking sounds from the engine bay with the brakes applied?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• Zimbos
      Low Range
      • Jul 2013

thanks mark , the pedal is normal this morning but when I apply the brake the idle does drop and pedal stiffens up , what is my next step thanks gareth dallas texas

Comment

• Eric W S
        5th Gear
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Zimbos
        thanks mark , the pedal is normal this morning but when I apply the brake the idle does drop and pedal stiffens up , what is my next step thanks gareth dallas texas
        The next step wopuld be to buy a green bible from our hosts...

Comment

• Contractor
          1st Gear
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Zimbos

I would say that your servo has a diaphram leak and likely needs to be replaced. It's not that hard of a fix.
          1969 IIA - Tan
          1969 IIA - Blue

Comment

Working...