PDA

View Full Version : brake pedal tension

Zimbos
08-10-2014, 09:09 AM
9990hi guys , quick question after a routine Saturday spin my brake pedal became very stiff ,brakes still work any almost no play in the pedal , any thoughts cheers 73 series 3

SafeAirOne
08-10-2014, 09:54 AM
If you're talking about UNUSUALLY stiff (like rock hard), and very little pedal movement, then my instinct would be to examine why the master cylinder isn't releasing the line pressure back into the reservoir when the pedal is released, which would lead me to check the pedal for full return, the pushrod length on the MC, then the valve on the end of the MC piston (depending on which MC you have), then for a blockage in the brake lines and flex hoses.

Oh, I just had a look at your Rover pic--Before any of the above stuff, I'd check that the brake booster is functioning properly. IT's more likely than any of the above stuff that you have a loss of vacuum somewhere along the way.

Does the engine idle change any when you apply the brake? Any new sucking sounds from the engine bay with the brakes applied?

Zimbos
08-10-2014, 01:46 PM
thanks mark , the pedal is normal this morning but when I apply the brake the idle does drop and pedal stiffens up , what is my next step thanks gareth dallas texas

Eric W S
08-11-2014, 03:21 PM
thanks mark , the pedal is normal this morning but when I apply the brake the idle does drop and pedal stiffens up , what is my next step thanks gareth dallas texas

The next step wopuld be to buy a green bible from our hosts...

Contractor
08-12-2014, 08:09 AM

I would say that your servo has a diaphram leak and likely needs to be replaced. It's not that hard of a fix.