PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea

bensdad
08-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Okay, when I go to start my 60 swb 2.25l rover it takes awhile to start. Maybe four or five tries on the push button starter. I just wanted to know if that is typical. You guys are so on top of it.
I am really happy with it, but didn't know if I am missing something. Also, if I pull the choke a bit it seems to do better.

darbsclt
08-23-2014, 07:01 AM
Nope... not normal...

When cold?
When hot?
All the time?

How does it run once started?

bensdad
08-23-2014, 08:29 AM
It idles really well. I cleaned the Rochester a few months ago and the idle is great. New battery. PO installed an electric fuel pump which is maybe suspect. It seems to take longer to start when cold, but it still takes a few times to get started when hot.

mearstrae
08-23-2014, 11:20 AM
It might be the ignition timing. I always set timing to the highest steady vacuum reading.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

TeriAnn
08-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Could be a weak battery that does not have enough power for a full coil charge while the starter motor is turning.

Could be poor electrical connection battery to starter or starter motor to ground or ground to battery.

Could be weak ignition coil

Could be a starter motor with a shorted armature wire drawing too much current for the coil to get what it needs to produce a strong spark

Could be centre ignition wire, cap, rotor providing a high resistance.