PDA

View Full Version : Another New Series Owner Reporting In

lumpydog
08-24-2014, 09:03 PM
Hey All:

New owner of a 68 Series 2A 88. This is my second Rover. My first was a 1997 NAS Defender Station Wagon - coniston green (#0565). I drove the D-90 for 9 years and sold her for $10K more than when I bought her brand new - amazing that, the longer I held onto her, the more I could sell her for... I should have held onto her longer! I miss the 90 and that truck really drove me to understand the history behind her - I learned about and loved the Series Rovers and bided my time, hoping one day to get a 2a.

I started looking last year. I found a few that were barely holding themselves together with rustoleum and duct tape. I came very close to buying one in the early spring that looked fantastic but it had many, many hidden issues. My search lead me to Clark Farm where I found a Rover that had been purchased in 1993 in Washington, driven to the East coast and then dismantled 18 years ago. In 1996, the engine was sent to VT Engine and Welding (no longer around) where it was completely rebuilt while, at the same time, the vehicle was disassembled by the PO who wanted to do a complete restoration. He was not able to find the time to reassemble, so he stored her in a barn and 13 years later he sent her to Lanny for a rebuild and partial restoration. Long story short, the truck was completed by Lanny but never left Clark farm. She sat for 5 years until I made a deal to be the first person to drive her in 18 years. Those that know Lanny's work understand the detail and effort he puts into each Rover he touches.

When the PO purchased her in Washington, she had been sitting for 2 years on the lot of British Northwest Rover Company (aka, Charles Kellogg). I was actually able to track down the owner that sold her to BNWRC - he was from Oregon, and owned her for three years and "rarely drover her". So this is a truck that was not driven for 20 of her last 23 years, with a prior owner that used her lightly for the three years before that - almost half her known life unused. Unfortunately, the Oregon owner did not recall the name of his prior owner, so the PO trail ran cold there.

I picked the truck up from Lanny's farm last Monday - headed up to Rovers North for some supplies, drove her across Smuggler's Notch and spent the night in Stowe VT. I then headed south on Rt 100 to Massachusetts. On the drive home, I had the pleasure of having lunch with the PO. Part of what makes these aging series vehicles great are the people that owned them before us and their stories. Having spoken the last two POs, I was able to learn an enormous amount about the truck's past - very cool.

I spent the remainder of the week cleaning her up further and making her mine. Click here for pictures (https://plus.google.com/photos/108176849127044252598/albums/6051300965323433201?banner=pwa).

The truck runs like a top. The engine is still breaking in. Comments, questions and feedback welcome.

o2batsea
08-25-2014, 05:31 AM
Looking pretty clean! There are a few small wrongnesses, but nothing I'd bother doing anything about. Enjoy the break downs!

Escargo
08-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Nice truck. Congradulations. I was expecting to see the headlights on the wings on a '68. I'm sure someone here will chime in with the date that change was made.

darbsclt
08-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Beautiful vehicle... congratulations!

In getting one of Lanny's projects, I doubt you could have set yourself up better, for many years of rovering enjoyment.

Note:*
- It looks like the US first started importing "Wing mounted" headlights on some models in January of '68 (Chassis suffix - D)
- Regular production "wing mounted" headlights, did not commence on all models until April of '69 (Chassis suffix - G)
(It seems there was a bit of a "transition period")

*Source (http://www.series2club.co.uk/committee/committee%20documents/Series2_timeline.pdf)

lumpydog
08-25-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys - it feels great to finally own one of these Series vehicles after lurking here for years!

As far as the headlight placement is concerned, Lanny explained to me that this was a "transitional" vehicle. I did determine that it left the factory on June 26th, 1968 - based on a chassis number inquiry to the Heritage Motor Trust. My chassis number is 24434013D, which precedes the chassis number (24435243F) of first known bugeye in our own bugeye registry (http://forums.roversnorth.com/showthread.php?4225-BUGEYE-Registry).

Other points of interest on my Rover, where transition period is concerned, is that it still has the wider sills and also single circuit brakes. It has the later 2A wiper motor...

Let me know what else you guys see - good fun to compare notes with people that have more experience with these trucks.

While Lanny was completing her, I spent a good amount of time tracking down NOS replacement parts for some of her more worn bits/pieces. Amazing what you can find out there - but pricey.

tolonian
08-25-2014, 12:51 PM
I noticed a few differences as compared to my Late IIA (70) deluxe hardtop which have already been mentioned, one addition - demisters and hoses are the old style yet the ducting under the dash is late IIA style!
I guess in the transition period they were using up old stock parts

Beautiful, I would be very proud.

DesignerV
08-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Congrats on the purchase!
Hopefully it will serve you well and for a long time.

Looking at these pictures makes me want to completely restore mine....but, I know that will probably never happen...:rolleyes:

Happy Rover-ing!

bensdad
08-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Holy crap that Series is perfect. Enjoy it pal. Makes me want to work even harder on my 60

lumpydog
08-26-2014, 08:57 AM
All:

Thanks for the warm welcome - I'll be here seeking your help as she gives me reason to - or as I screw something up. Yes, I'm very proud to own her - I spent an enormous amount of time cleaning her up after I brought her home. I look forward to driving, tinkering and more driving.

Revtor
08-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Wow, that is NICE!

it is indeed interesting to see the slight differences between trucks only a few months apart.. (mine was built march 1969)

~Steve