PDA

View Full Version : Any Robert Davis engine owners out there...?

northshorelocal
06-24-2007, 06:05 PM
If you own or know about his engines can you please let me know all there is to know about them? How much better is the 3.0 vs the 2.5 for instance? Ease of them dropping in would be nice as well?Any problems?
Thanks

n6zt
06-25-2007, 11:08 AM
I have owned 2 of his engines. The latest is in my Dormobile. They install very easily; not much different than changing a regular engine. I have had the 2.5 and 3 litre. They both work great. Give him a call; he's a great guy and is very knowledgeable. I do another for sure.
Jim in Seattle

alaskajosh
09-08-2007, 09:09 PM
I just got into one of these... the 3l. I would love to get some info on it.
Anything!

The previous owner wasn't mechanicly inclined and couldn't tell me a thing. Mr Davis wasn't that helpful on the phone.

I wouldn't even know what distributer cap to buy.. let alone timing or anything else. So I go into NAPA and tell 'em I got a boat engine:confused: :confused: ?

It does seem to drive reasonably well. This is my first series so I don't have much to compare by.

daveb
09-09-2007, 07:49 PM
hi

I'm on my 2nd and know them well. I've installed a few and and built my own to his specs. Everything I know about them will be more than I can type. Robert probably doesn't even remember what went into your engine and also doesn't have alot of time. So if you can send me some photos and specific questions I will try to help as much as i can. You'll have to be patient with me as well. He says that almost every engine is different. Take clear photos of the engine bay from both sides and from the front and both sides underneath as well. That will help alot. FWIW you probably don't need a distributor cap.

rgrds
Dave in DC

I just got into one of these... the 3l. I would love to get some info on it.
Anything!

The previous owner wasn't mechanicly inclined and couldn't tell me a thing. Mr Davis wasn't that helpful on the phone.

I wouldn't even know what distributer cap to buy.. let alone timing or anything else. So I go into NAPA and tell 'em I got a boat engine:confused: :confused: ?

It does seem to drive reasonably well. This is my first series so I don't have much to compare by.

KevinNY
09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Robert is very busy with his foray into diesel conversions now. My truck is there now. The Iron Duke is a very easy engine to get info on, just google it.

daveb
09-09-2007, 09:57 PM
yes, don't bother him. We want him to concentrate on his current project so he can get it done already :) :) :) :)

actually, although there is lots of info on iron dukes in general, the RD motors are something entirely different. it REALLY helps to know what you have when you walk into the parts store or start tinkering.

the parts come from across the entire engine range. some comes from outside the range and some is custom altogether. so it really depends alot on what he has and when he got it.

Robert is very busy with his foray into diesel conversions now. My truck is there now. The Iron Duke is a very easy engine to get info on, just google it.

KevinNY
09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
[quote=daveb]yes, don't bother him. We want him to concentrate on his current project so he can get it done already :) :) :) :)
quote]

Exactly!:o

fruitpunch
09-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Oh yes Robert thanks so much for the install I am motoring along just foine. :D:D:D too bad he doesn't find the time to figure out this new RN BBS, like so many others we lost because they made it so much more complicated to log on.

daveb
09-11-2007, 11:24 AM
hey marc

yeah I forgot he used to post to the old bbs. but I didn't think this forum was any harder to subscribe to than other forums. It took a while but I think I liek forums better than bbs or listserve formats. this forum is not as much fun or capable as some of the others out ther.e but I have alot more complaints about the commerce side of this site than the forums. like search functions that don't work, etc.

Oh yes Robert thanks so much for the install I am motoring along just foine. :D:D:D too bad he doesn't find the time to figure out this new RN BBS, like so many others we lost because they made it so much more complicated to log on.

fruitpunch
09-13-2007, 07:06 AM
Well my complaint is we lost too many excellent posters like Robert, Art, Ann....

And older board was faster to surf here it's like clutter central

daveb
09-13-2007, 01:04 PM
yeah and now they are stuck with losers like us. well, some of the attitude various folks had back then is certainly not missed. but that is all water under the bridge.

I don't know. I attribute it more to the greater # of forums that have popped up. there are too many to count and you can only be on so many. there are regional forums, vendor forums, LR magazine sponsored forums, international forums, etc.

not directed at you but if you miss seeing people on the boards you need to find out where they are lurking/posting.

this has been discussed on many of the "old school" boards and listserves.

Well my complaint is we lost too many excellent posters like Robert, Art, Ann....

And older board was faster to surf here it's like clutter central