PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen/Windshield to Bulkhead Seal

warrenperkinson
09-03-2014, 04:36 PM
I am replacing the windscreen/windshield to bulkhead seal on my 1971 Series IIa SWB.

The old seal has been removed (at least what was left of it) and the top of the bulkhead has been rust converted, cold galv applied, followed by undercoat and final coat.

I am about ready to apply the new rubber seal...

As I understand it, the seal is usually applied to (i.e. stuck to) the top of the bulkhead using the double sided tape that comes attached to the new seal.

But I am concerned that this will become a moisture trap on top of the bulkhead and will hide any rust that might occur there.

Has anyone tried applying the seal to the underside of the windscreen? If I did, would that form an adequate seal?

Your suggestions or comments appreciated.

o2batsea
09-04-2014, 10:18 AM
I use the foam weatherstrip (like 1/4 x 1") from the hardware store. The adhesive is pretty weak, and it removes easily.
The "original" (which you can't get anymore) has no adhesive. I never ever glued it down just let it be compressed in place.

jac04
09-04-2014, 10:40 AM
I bought an "original" that had adhesive:
http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/6184/FAJ100020-BULKHEAD-TO-WINDSCREEN-SEAL-ADHESIVE.html?search=bulkhead%20seal&page=1