PDA

View Full Version : Gearshift lever question

Enigma
09-07-2014, 10:16 AM
On my early 60's series II rovers I have what I call S shaped levers with a mushroom shaped cap. I recently came into possession of a different shaped lever that has a long section from the transmission and then a slight bend capped off with a round shift ball.
When did these change?

Is there any advantage of one over the other?

cheers John

bugeye88
09-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Enigma,

I have a 68 Bugeye 2a and it originally had a S shaped shifter that I really liked.... until it broke at the shift ball (down at the very bottom) No S shaped levers are made anymore or are readily available, so I replaced it with a straight shifter with a round shift ball at the end (presumably from series 3 design) The new shifter works just fine, so no advantage to the S type or the straight. These shift levers are known to fail just as mine did, usually at very inopportune times.

Cheers,

Rob
Bugeye88

stomper
09-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Just as Rob said. Always carry a spare on any long trips.

Enigma
09-07-2014, 03:06 PM
One of mine has been welded at the lower end. Obviously a weak point!

Thanks
John

bugeye88
09-07-2014, 10:39 PM
You know, when I examined my broke S shaped lever it looked like it had been welded at the bottom at some point. I'd go with a new un-welded lever if i were you.

Rob
Bugeye88

Jim-ME
09-08-2014, 06:22 AM
I have a source for the early type shifters. PM me it you are interested.
Jim

Enigma
09-08-2014, 08:01 AM
I guess I can swap out the welded lever for the straight version and keep the welded unit for back up.
I was wondering if the design might have changed for centre seating conditions.

John

stomper
09-08-2014, 09:54 AM
I lot of people choose the S bent lever for originality, and for comfort in shifting. I'm not sure it it puts the lever in a better shifting position, or if it is just the muscle memory advantage because that is what they were used to.

Tsmith
09-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Series One's had different levers for RHD and LHD. The II and IIA lists two that are "suitable for LHD and RHD"

Jim-ME
09-17-2014, 10:29 AM
I will have two more LHD shifters available in the very near future but the price went up.
Jim