PDA

View Full Version : Can you put a Series 2A 109 Wagon chassis under a 2a 109 truck body?

HucklebuckRover
09-08-2014, 03:35 PM
I have a 69 Series 2A 109 truck and the frame is toast. I'm looking at a used wagon frame. Are there any major mounting issues aside from the gas tai mounts?

SalemRover
09-08-2014, 06:31 PM
I went the other way around and it wasn't too bad. It was a 74 SIII ex-mod 109 frame getting a 71 IIA 5 door body though. If you are already planning on adding the fuel tank hangers any other gotcha's should be easy to remedy.

o2batsea
09-09-2014, 08:07 AM
If you download the S3 manual .pdfs they have the frame drawings that give you all the detailed measurements and fittings. A wagon frame won't have the tailgate hinge brackets, so you will have to move those over. Same for the fuel tank outrigger(s).

stomper
09-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Or plan on running a hard top and a station wagon rear door. Then you don't need the tailgate hinge brackets.

LaneRover
09-09-2014, 10:17 AM
I believe that you will also be missing some supports for the p-up floor bed right behind the bulkhead. Basically in a Station wagon that is where the feet go for the folks in the backseat. Not a huge issue - but something to know about.

HucklebuckRover
09-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the info. Is there a huge issue with going from series 2a to series 3 frame wise? I'm showing how green I am here. Thanks for the info.

I Leak Oil
09-09-2014, 03:39 PM
If you're even remotely handy with a grinder and a welder you'll be fine. Chances are you may need to do some repair work on a used frame anyhow. Just find as solid a frame as you can, the rest is cake.

HucklebuckRover
09-10-2014, 07:21 AM
I'm guessing you're talking about this? See image. 10162

I couldn't track down the supports. Would I essentially have to fabricate that?

I also think the frame I'm looking at is missing the body mount points that stick up from the outrigger, Looks like an outrigger repair without adding these back in. Huge deal? I suppose I could always snag a new set of those if need be and just replace the existing outriggers.

I believe that you will also be missing some supports for the p-up floor bed right behind the bulkhead. Basically in a Station wagon that is where the feet go for the folks in the backseat. Not a huge issue - but something to know about.

o2batsea
09-10-2014, 08:59 AM
If I recall there is something about the S3 clutch slave fouling something on the 2A frame, but my recall is hazy there. I don't think it matters going the other way tho...
Your chances of finding anything but shoddy repro anything for the 2A chassis are extremely thin. Best is to cut parts off a non rusty donor....if you can find one. How are your fabrication skills?

LaneRover
09-10-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm guessing you're talking about this? See image. 10162

I couldn't track down the supports. Would I essentially have to fabricate that?

I also think the frame I'm looking at is missing the body mount points that stick up from the outrigger, Looks like an outrigger repair without adding these back in. Huge deal? I suppose I could always snag a new set of those if need be and just replace the existing outriggers.

Yes those. You could always make a nice box and have a nice wee bit of extra out of the way storage . . .

HucklebuckRover
09-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Sounds like the transfer may be more heartache than it's worth. Anyone have a lead on a used frame 109 regular truck?