PDA

View Full Version : Series IIa 88" Door Hinge Bolts

warrenperkinson
09-09-2014, 09:09 PM
I need to unbolt the front door door hinges from the bulkhead in my series IIa 88" (in order to repaint the edges of the bulkhead).

My instinct tells me these bolts are threaded into the bulkhead itself. But my instinct has been wrong in the past, and I wouldn't want to have to a nut plate drop down inside the bulkhead if this is one of those times when I'm wrong...

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers...

darbsclt
09-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Your 2nd thought is most likely correct... so be careful...

Generally, either individual captive bulkhead nuts were used.. or... a plate on which two nuts were welded (one plate/hinge). While the captive nuts are most prone to falling into the deep recesses of the bulkhead, I've also read examples of the plate falling out of reach.

When I removed my hinge bolts... I quickly discovered that I had the plates, and made sure to keep at least one bolt securing the plate; preventing it from shifting.

o2batsea
09-10-2014, 08:49 AM
2A has captive nuts on a plate that is welded into a pocket. This lets the captive plate move around a little. It shouldn't fall down into the door pillar when you undo the bolts. Bolts are 5/16ths-24 UNF.
However, I'd remove the door and paint without disturbing the position of the upper hinge if I didn't absolutely have to.