PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Spring on Ex-MOD 109 Ambulance Question

kenscs
09-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Hi all,

My Ex-MOD 109 Ambulance that now has a basic flatbed with canvas top has a pretty intense "bucking" when I go over any kind of road bump. My suspicion is that it is related to what are likely heavy-duty leaf springs on the truck to accommodate the initial ambulance back. It definitely has the long MOD shackle and leaf springs that have 8 "leafs" in them. I am likely going to take off the springs and either grease them or put UHMW tape between them (i have read all the debates here about that), but what my question (finally) is whether I can/or should remove any leafs while I am at it. I see lots of posts out there about 2 or 4 leaf springs, but nothing related to 8 leafs.

Anyone have any thoughts about best way to go assuming I don't want to go towards new parabolics and just try to make the best of the original MOD springs?

Thanks!

SafeAirOne
09-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Hmm....Bucking: To make sudden or jerky movements...

If, by "bucking" you mean bouncing all over the road laterally whenever you hit washboard-like bumps, especially on curves in the road, then you probably need more weight in the back, where the very light flatbed now exists. The springs are stiff and for all intents and purposes are inoperative without some weight to actuate them. This means that the wheels are bouncing up, off the road surface, and a tire that's not in contact with the road surface will do nothing for you, vehicle control-wise.

TeriAnn's site has helpful information on Rover leaf springs if you endeavor to seek a factory replacement with a different spring rate: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/spring_rates.htm

Speaking personally, If I was had a spring with too many leafs, I would probably start taking leafs off the bottom of the stack, one at a time, till I found something that works in both my empty AND fully-loaded configuration.

If, by "bucking" you mean that when you hit a bump at a throttle setting near the cusp between driving under power and coasting, the whole vehicle begins oscillating between lunging forward and coasting, then you have a driveline slop/backlash issue.

If, by "bucking" you mean that whenever you hit a decent bump, your steering wheel shakes back and forth (sometimes violently), then you have slop in your steering system or your steering box isn't attached firmly to its mount or the mount isn't attached firmly to the chassis (among other causes).

luckyjoe
09-12-2014, 09:06 AM
I had the same configuration - '65 ambulance converted to 3-door, retaining ambi springs.

Yes, you need 100's of pounds of weight over the rear axle to tame those springs into submission. I found that painting them with motor oil, multiple times over a month of driving, did improve 'smoothness', but there is no substitution for some additional payload...

I Leak Oil
09-12-2014, 11:32 AM
My old ex mod amb. conversion also had swaybars. If yours still has them, they aren't making the ride any more comfortable.

kenscs
09-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Hmm....Bucking: To make sudden or jerky movements...

If, by "bucking" you mean bouncing all over the road laterally whenever you hit washboard-like bumps, especially on curves in the road, then you probably need more weight in the back, where the very light flatbed now exists. The springs are stiff and for all intents and purposes are inoperative without some weight to actuate them. This means that the wheels are bouncing up, off the road surface, and a tire that's not in contact with the road surface will do nothing for you, vehicle control-wise.

TeriAnn's site has helpful information on Rover leaf springs if you endeavor to seek a factory replacement with a different spring rate: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/spring_rates.htm

Speaking personally, If I was had a spring with too many leafs, I would probably start taking leafs off the bottom of the stack, one at a time, till I found something that works in both my empty AND fully-loaded configuration.

Thank you all for feedback. Definitely am referring to the first form of bucking. I will throw some sand bag in the truck to start actuating the leaf springs to start.

I guess the next question, which I know is a can of worms given all the posts I have read, is "Do I just get 3-Spring Parabolics for it?" Seems like an easy route and I wont have to carry 200 lbs of sandbags around normally and reduce gas milage. Primary purpose is for Vermont dirt roads (which have LOTS of washboards) and paved roads to those dirt roads. At this point, no serious offroading intended. I use this to get to trailhead to mountain bike on the crazy terrain.

yorker
09-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Try to free up your stock suspension like Tom says first. It is more or less free to do. If you never really use the truck heavily laden then you could try different springs (Maybe 109 SW springs) or buy parabolics.

disco2hse
09-18-2014, 12:40 AM
Get standard duty springs unless you intend to carry heavy loads, then you will need to use ballast.

With standard duty springs your carrying capacity will be limited to around 400kg but the heavy duty springs increase that to 750kg.

You will find your ride and on-road safety are well improved with standard duty springs if you are not carrying heavy loads. The bouncing you refer to become dangerous if you are cornering or braking and you start to tramp. Additionally, the behaviour in wet or wintry weather become very risky.

kenscs
09-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks all for input. I loaded the back with Sand Bags and Kids resulting in HUGE improvement! Since I won't be carrying this kind of load normally, I think I will be switching to standard springs for Rocky Mountain Parabolic's. PS, as I was testing the springs with a full load of 10 year old girls in the back along with leaf springs, the truck died. If I had a picture, no one would believe it. Four ten year old girls pulling on a 30 ft snatch stap trying to pull a Camo ex_MOD truck home at 11 pm through the neighborhood. I am sure a few people looking out the windows had their vision checked or alcohol content of previous drinks checked. For more flair, the girls had painted their faces in Clown Paint. I am not making this up. Ultimately, the wife was called with Suburban to tow it home for real.

Something to remember for the weekend journal in school...

disco2hse
09-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Aaargh, :nono:

Take a camera every time you go out. Or your phone.

LaneRover
09-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks all for input. I loaded the back with Sand Bags and Kids resulting in HUGE improvement! Since I won't be carrying this kind of load normally, I think I will be switching to standard springs for Rocky Mountain Parabolic's. PS, as I was testing the springs with a full load of 10 year old girls in the back along with leaf springs, the truck died. If I had a picture, no one would believe it. Four ten year old girls pulling on a 30 ft snatch stap trying to pull a Camo ex_MOD truck home at 11 pm through the neighborhood. I am sure a few people looking out the windows had their vision checked or alcohol content of previous drinks checked. For more flair, the girls had painted their faces in Clown Paint. I am not making this up. Ultimately, the wife was called with Suburban to tow it home for real.

Something to remember for the weekend journal in school...

Yes, pics are good - especially if you are sitting on the truck with 'reins' to control the team.