X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timc930
    1st Gear
    • Jul 2013

1963 IIA 2.25 Dies when hot

After driving the IIA for approx 15-20min, car just feels like it run's out of gas, and it dies. Once it cools down it fires right back up and runs for another 10min or so and does it again. I am still gathering the facts on this, but the first thing I want to rule out is vapor lock, as to get it started this last time I poured some fuel into the carb and I could hear it bubbling, I guess from the heat of the exhaust manifold which is right under the intake. I am new the Series IIA's but not new to Carb's, as I used to work in old carburated 911's, so I am learning the idiosyncrasies of the IIA...

So when it died I did the following:
    1) Disconnected fuel line at carb and manually pumped fuel to rule out blockage.
    2) Cranked car and directed fuel into plastic container to verify FP working.
    3) Checked for spark at each plug.
    4) Unscrewed plug on bottom of carb fuel inlet and watch fuel come out while starting.
    5) Pulled carb top off to validate fuel in the carb bowl.

Bottom line, I am getting spark and fuel (to a degree)...

Any thoughts on going to an elect pump like a facet and bypassing the mech pump, as I am really not sure that the mech pump is pumping the correct amount of volume of fuel as well....

Thoughts?

tim
    Tim
    63 IIA 88" (Beach with the dogs)
    05 L322 (Daily)
    95 RRC SWB
    05 E320 (Wife)
    86 930 (Rush on boost, 400HP and climbing....)
    A few boring BMW's for the kids (E30, E36, E46, E53)
  • stomper
    5th Gear
    • Apr 2007

Try opening the fuel cap when it stalls and see if you have a vacuum in the tank. There should be no pressure build-up, but if the fuel cap seals too tightly, this can cause fuel starvation issues.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• timc930
      1st Gear
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by stomper
      Try opening the fuel cap when it stalls and see if you have a vacuum in the tank. There should be no pressure build-up, but if the fuel cap seals too tightly, this can cause fuel starvation issues.
      Interesting, I'll check this out, thank you.
      Tim
      05 L322 (Daily)
      95 RRC SWB
      05 E320 (Wife)

Comment

• jcadwell
        Low Range
        • Sep 2014

Are you sure you have spark? It could be the coil heating up and failing to deliver a hot spark. Had a porsche like that once...

Comment

• darbsclt
          1st Gear
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by jcadwell
          It could be the coil heating up and failing to deliver a hot spark.
          I second this...

My experience with Series vapor-lock symptoms has been...

If started cold - no issue... driving - no issues
          If started while HOT - difficult/fuel starved... once started, it remains fuel starved and prone to stall when stopped until fresh/cool fuel circulates

My experience with a bad coil has been stalling/back-firing when hot and while driving. Usually at the most inopportune/embarrassing times - ex. crossing a busy intersection during rush hour (sigh).

The frustrating part is that a bad coil can mimic a fuel issue, compounding/overlapping symptoms. Also, be warned, new coils can fail straight out of the box.

Turning back to vapor-lock... these are some of the steps I took to minimize my symptoms...

- Installed a "summer" thermostat
          - Added a thermal sleeve to my fuel lines
          - Wrapped the base of my Carb in a thermal sleeve
          - Added an inline fuel filter immediately prior to my carb (for some reason the PO only had one down at the tank)

All of this (combined) seemed to help quite a bit. Although I have an electric "pusher pump" installed, I haven't needed to use it since taking these steps.

Hope that helps...

Comment

• timc930
            1st Gear
            • Jul 2013

I just replaced the coil, but that does not mean it's good. I have a few from old 911's laying around, are coil''s pretty generic?

Anyone know what the spec is for fuel pressure at the carb feed line?
            Tim
            05 L322 (Daily)
            95 RRC SWB
            05 E320 (Wife)

Comment

• darbsclt
              1st Gear
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by timc930
              Anyone know what the spec is for fuel pressure at the carb feed line?
              The spec's I've seen are ~ 3psi for the mechanical pump.

Note: I don't know how much trust you can put in the readings of 'off the shelf' fuel pressure gauges. I used a Holley gauge on mine & it read 9psi. Rather than the actual reading, I paid more attention to consistency in readings in order to judge the health of my mech pump.

BTW: Have you mentioned what carb you're running?

Comment

• timc930
                1st Gear
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by darbsclt
                BTW: Have you mentioned what carb you're running?
                Single barrel, have to look to see if it's Zenith/Solex. I have a 2brl Weber and manifold (new) that came with the truck, just not sure of the benefit on the 2.25.

Oh yeah, gas mileage is around 10mpg! So I definitely have some issues.

I picked this truck up last year, but due to being out of my house and garage due to home renovation I have not been able to do anything with it. Should be moving back into the house late this month and then I'll be able to spend some time with the little truck!

Just tinkering now, and planning for the work I am going to do this fall and winter...
                Tim
                05 L322 (Daily)
                95 RRC SWB
                05 E320 (Wife)

Comment

• stomper
                  5th Gear
                  • Apr 2007

Coils are pretty much universal, as long as it is a 3ohm primary resistance. (all 4 cyl engines run 3ohms)
                  Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• yorker
                    Overdrive
                    • Nov 2006

There is a fuel filter you can get that returns excess fuel to the tank, thus keeping the fuel supply rather cold. Some here have used it to cure vapor lock. Similar to this one:
                    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• timc930
                      1st Gear
                      • Jul 2013

So I have ruled out the coil, fuel pump, and vapor lock. Drove it today with the gas cap off, and once hot, it died. When car dies, I have excellent pressure at the Carb, as I pulled the line off at the carb and fuel sprayed everywhere. There is plenty of fuel in the carb bowl as well. I can also use the hand pump on the bottom of the FP to pump fuel when it's hot, so the FP diaphragm appears to be good. So I think my fuel delivery to the carb is fine. I am wondering if I have a problem getting the fuel from carb into the combustion chamber.

What I am curious about, is just before it stalls it runs as if it is not getting fuel, or loosing fuel pressure, as I can drive at a constant speed, but if I try to accelerate it feels as if it is running out of gas, then just dies. Bottom line, the engine will not take any additional load, and is somewhat difficult to maintain existing load, then it just dies. So when I pour fuel down the carb to get it to restart, there is a tremendous amount of bubbling, so, can the manifold be getting to hot causing the fuel to evaporate before it goes into the combustion chamber?? Logically this could be the cause, just don't know if it is realistic....
                      Tim
                      05 L322 (Daily)
                      95 RRC SWB
                      05 E320 (Wife)

Comment

• yorker
                        Overdrive
                        • Nov 2006

Did you figure out which carb you have?

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• timc930
                          1st Gear
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by yorker
                          Did you figure out which carb you have?
                          Weber 34ICH.....I have a Weber progressive 2BBL and manifold that came with the truck that I may stick on it later if needed....

tim
                          Tim
                          05 L322 (Daily)
                          95 RRC SWB
                          05 E320 (Wife)

Comment

• yorker
                            Overdrive
                            • Nov 2006

Definitely not the Weber 1 bbl then? Jets are clean?

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• timc930
                              1st Gear
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by yorker
                              Definitely not the Weber 1 bbl then? Jets are clean?
                              Just went and picked it up, fired right up and drove back to the house...

I stand corrected, I have the Weber 34 ICH.

And yes jet's are clean, needle and seat works. I pulled the carb apart several months ago and did a cleaning/rebuild....

tim
                              Tim
                              05 L322 (Daily)
                              95 RRC SWB
                              05 E320 (Wife)

Comment

Working...