PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Getting a Series...

amcordo
09-14-2014, 09:15 PM
The one I'm interested in diesels for a bit when turned off (it's gasoline, 225).

Common issue or should I be worried?

SafeAirOne
09-14-2014, 09:59 PM
If that was the only thing that was preventing me from pulling the trigger on the deal, then I'd go for it.

stomper
09-15-2014, 05:46 AM
It seems to be a common issue when they are not set-up and tuned properly. As Mark said, if everything else was to my liking, then I wouldn't make this a deterrent.

pitchrollyaw
09-15-2014, 09:20 AM
so did my SIII when I was looking at it..but it was an otherwise very solid car. The dieseling just became another minor negotiating point. A traditional 'tune up' (and correcting the emissions plumbing) and some time spent fiddling w/ the Weber all but cured any further issues. That said, mine will very rarely diesel a bit if I shut down right after extended idling or fighting traffic in town. I'm guessing that is due to running a bit rich at low power and carbon build up, easily cured on the next drive.

Assuming an otherwise solid vehicle, I would not let this get in the way.

TedW
09-15-2014, 10:45 AM
Tony:

I had that problem with my Weber, but a fuel shutoff solenoid solved the problem.

Ted

rwollschlager
09-15-2014, 12:51 PM
another series in addition to the 109? I would not be worried about the dieseling.

stomper
09-15-2014, 02:55 PM
He surely didn't sell that 109, it was a chick magnet! :) (still one of the best threads I have ever read on this forum)

amcordo
09-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I got rid of the 109 dirt cheap (it was in parts) because of a move. And as you all know, this is a disease and you can't go without one for long.

At least this time around I know (at least better) what I want. Less mods, more original parts. But with galvanized everything again. And will you look at that, there's one available like that now.

Plus I missed reading the monthly "how do I change the clutch master/slave?" question on here.

So followup question: I know you don't have much information, but if the only symptom was that it's dieseling - do any of you think I should be worried about driving it before giving it a tune up? To be more specific, I'll need to drive it a couple of hundred miles home (or tow it at much more expense). I've no problem fiddling with it when I get it home to get it tuned up, but don't want to rely on having to do that on the seller side of the trip. The rest sounds in good shape - brakes, etc.

yorker
09-15-2014, 03:37 PM
So followup question: I know you don't have much information, but if the only symptom was that it's dieseling - do any of you think I should be worried about driving it before giving it a tune up? To be more specific, I'll need to drive it a couple of hundred miles home (or tow it at much more expense). I've no problem fiddling with it when I get it home to get it tuned up, but don't want to rely on having to do that on the seller side of the trip. The rest sounds in good shape - brakes, etc.

It could be as simple as timing, loosen the distributor and tune it as you drive home to check- it isn't hard to do. Advance until it pings and back it off until it doesn't. It could be carbon or something else but for me at least it would not be something that would stop me from buying it or driving it home assuming everything else is decent.

stomper
09-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Just like yorker said. Adjust the timing, adjust the idle RPM, maybe throw in a new distributor cap and rotor, adjust the points, and drive that puppy home! If it hasn't been maintained, I might top up the fluids, but 200 miles isn't that far.