PDA

View Full Version : More useless nonsense...

bensdad
09-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Quick question. Old stories have it that people used their early Series grills to cook over a campfire. Are they not galvanized and isn't cooking over a galvanized grill dangerous? I heard that this causes an off gas that is serious stuff?
Maybe it was just another urban legend?

Zimbos
09-16-2014, 06:10 AM
just like this last winter ,showing the kids how we grew up

o2batsea
09-16-2014, 06:30 AM
I don't think you'll die or get sick from eating one or even a few hamburgers cooked on a Series grille. I wouldn't do it all the time tho...
And yes, those stories are just that...stories. The term "breakfast" comes from a joke that was started on the old Mendo-Recce listserv that they used Series grilles in Oz to cook their breakfast on.

jac04
09-16-2014, 09:09 AM
I don't think you'll die or get sick from eating one or even a few hamburgers cooked on a Series grille. I wouldn't do it all the time tho...
Yeah, don't worry, the effects of heavy metal poisoning typically go away after a day or 2 ... :rolleyes:

TeriAnn
09-16-2014, 11:17 AM
And yes, those stories are just that...stories. The term "breakfast" comes from a joke that was started on the old Mendo-Recce listserv that they used Series grilles in Oz to cook their breakfast on.

I think it was on the LRO mail list. The sad thing is that the people new to Land Rovers believed the joke and it didn't help that one of the people who started the joke added the term to the LR FAQ web site. So Americans who wanted to be in the LR "in group" started using the term for the grille. The Americans thought it to be a term used by the Australians and of course neither the Australians nor the British had ever heard the term before. They consider it to be an Americanism.

So for the Americans the steel LR grille became the breakfast because of a joke started by some OVLR club members.

Then a totally bazaar transference happened. A lot of people didn't know that the radiator bulkhead was called a radiator bulkhead and someone came up with the idea of calling it a breakfast too. Because the early bulkheads had inboard headlamp holes. He said that the headlamp holes looked like fried eggs and the wide lower opening looked like bacon. Suddenly people who didn't know the correct term latched onto calling the radiator bulkhead the breakfast. I remember the emails but I forgot who started that one. Headlamp holes look like fried eggs???? Geesh! How gullible can LR owners get??

I'm still amazed at how gullible people are. Especially if they want to appear to be a seasoned Land Rover owner using the "correct" terms. At least the joke doesn't appear to have caught on in the rest of the world.

Sigh ... The correct terms are grille and radiator bulkhead. Me thinks this joke has gone on far too long.

80sailor
09-16-2014, 11:41 AM
I just thought the idea of intentionally charring a perfectly good part of your car was silly.

yorker
09-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Quick question. Old stories have it that people used their early Series grills to cook over a campfire. Are they not galvanized and isn't cooking over a galvanized grill dangerous? I heard that this causes an off gas that is serious stuff?
Maybe it was just another urban legend?

Too much Zn and you can get things like metal fume fever which is unpleasant.

Many of the elements that can be considered heavy metals have no known benefit for human physiology. Lead, mercury, and cadmium are prime examples of such "toxic metals." Yet, other metals are essential to human biochemical processes. For example, zinc is an important cofactor for several enzymatic reactions in the human body, vitamin B-12 has a cobalt atom at its core, and hemoglobin contains iron. Likewise, copper, manganese, selenium, chromium, and molybdenum are all trace elements, which are important in the human diet. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/814960-overview

The problem is you don't know it the galvanizing is pure zinc or if there are other things like lead in it. If you really want to cook over your grill you could use a pot or pan too, nothing says you have to grill on it, or if you are worried you could source a stainless one Personally I think it is kind of silly to use this way. Just bring an Ecoque or something if you want to grill. http://www.amazon.com/EcoQue-ECO-70120-Portable-Stainless-12-Inch/dp/B005LRUCFA

TeriAnn
09-16-2014, 12:20 PM
I just thought the idea of intentionally charring a perfectly good part of your car was silly.

Especially if you consider what happens when steel is exposed to water after the zinc plating is burned off and how common new grilles are.

Many people have argued the existence of intelligent life on Earth.

bensdad
09-16-2014, 04:23 PM
Awesome pic of the hamburgers, but I think I will stick to my manifold burritos for the time being....

Zimbos
09-16-2014, 05:08 PM
WE grew up in Africa the grill was used when we ran into unexpected delays and had to stay out over night breakdown or weather creeks to high to cross etc there was always a rifle so dinner came and the grill came off.

disco2hse
09-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Yes, before I signed onto this forum I had never heard the term before and had to ask what people were talking about.

In NZ we tend to use cooking utensils for breakfast. Eggs, bacon and meat patties cook well in a frying pan :D

Mussels and fish on the other hand cook very well on a sheet of corrugated iron or even on hot rocks hmmmm