PDA

View Full Version : Insurance recommendations?

sleam
09-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Hey chaps, any suggestions for insurance for my 72 Series? I live in NM and Shorty does less than 2K miles per year so I thought I'd look at classic vehicle ins companies but there are so many out there. Who do you use? Thanks!

LaneRover
09-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Some folks use Hagerty, but before going with any company I would double check and see if you get a discount for adding a vehicle to your current insurance. You might need to make sure that it is for an 'agreed worth' to make sure they don't just think that its an old banger of a truck.

stomper
09-18-2014, 01:53 PM
From people in the know, Chubb is supposed to be the best company for these old trucks. That said, I use Hagerty because that was what I could afford and find locally, with a $20,000 agreed upon value. I wonder if other insurance companies might be better now that the NADA guide rates our rovers in the $20-30,000 range?

sleam
09-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks Stomper. I used to have it on the regular insurance company but cost almost $400 yr which seemed a lot for hardly driving the bugger. I just looked up Hagerty and they quoted $204 yr. Hmm! I'll look into Chubb too. Oh, and I'd put the landy to be worth $12,500. It's mechanically great but kinda beat up, little details nothing major. Maybe I should check it's value though? I'd call it 'good' condition as KBB defines that!

80sailor
09-18-2014, 03:57 PM
+1 on Hagerty. Really inexpensive, agreed value, no mileage limits, free towing.

bugeye88
09-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Haggerty also! I have several collectible cars with them and find them easy and honest to work with.

Cheers,
Rob
Bugeye88

sleam
09-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Hagerty it is! Thanks team!

kenscs
09-18-2014, 07:41 PM
+1 more to Haggerty. I have the truck registered in VT and they were the least expensive by a mile. In addition, they "know" collector cars and send around a really cool monthly magazine that has cool photos of collectible cars. Great experience so far with them. I have not had any need to use them for a claim though. Chubb does all our other insurance "stuff" including boats, etc but was multiples of cost than Haggerty for the Landie.

stomper
09-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Just so you know, hagerty expects your vehicle to be garaged while at home, and they don't like "off-roading". New, I'm not saying we all don't do these things, but a claim due to a tree falling on your rover might be of some concern if you clam it with hagerty.

Contractor
09-18-2014, 08:15 PM
I have State Farm.

Agreed upon value policies.

Never had to use one (knocking on wood now), but so far so good. I also don't have any kind of strange restrictions like no off roading, parking under a garage, etc......

jac04
09-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Hagerty it is!

Also look into Hagerty's "High Octane" roadside assistance. It covers ALL your vehicles, whether or not they are insured by Hagerty, for up to 125 miles of flatbed towing and other assistance like lockout, fuel, winch-out, etc. I have a 68 Camaro insured by Hagerty, but the HO Roadside Assistance covers my other 4 vehicles as well. So, $125/yr for all 5 vehicles is fairly reasonable, and gives peace of mind.