PDA

View Full Version : The best manual ?

Huntersdad5
09-18-2014, 04:19 PM
I have a 71 series IIA. The rover doesn't have the original engine or tranny. I was wanting to redo a lot of the engine compartment, axles, and interior and wanted to know what the best manual was for it. I don't know gauges is suppose to be where? I've looked at different manuals and just wanted to know what is the best for me.

Thanks

bugeye88
09-18-2014, 04:47 PM
The original "Green Bible" from the factory is by far the best repair manual to have. Therein lies truth and madness! (Available from our hosts)

Cheers,
Rob
Bugeye88

LaneRover
09-19-2014, 12:13 PM
It is the best but also at times assumes you know quite a bit. The Haynes manual, though not as complete, is a good addition to the 'Green bible'

SafeAirOne
09-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Disclaimer: I don't own one, nor have I ever had a look at one, but perhaps the Haynes manual for the series land rover is better than all the other lousy Haynes manuals that I've ever seen for other vehicles?...You know, the ones that say "Repair of the __________ is beyond the scope of this manual and should be performed by a qualified professional."?

There's none of that in the Factory Workshop Manual at all, which is why I'd agree that the Haynes manual only makes a good ADDITION to a decent workshop manual.

Huntersdad5
09-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Thanks

leafsprung
09-19-2014, 10:41 PM
The green bible is not the best. The green bible is a poor reprint of the late two part manuals (sometimes combined into a single volume. Look for vintage factory workshop AND parts manuals. If you have a USA spec truck you would also benefit from the USA part catalogue supplement. Really there is no substitute for seeing detailed photos or inspecting an original truck. Many details are difficult to perceive or not present in the manuals

TeriAnn
09-19-2014, 11:27 PM
The first manual you need is the owners manual. The owners manual tells you how the controls work and provides a maintenance schedule. The manual goes over everything you need to perform a full tune up and the service checks in a language that assumes that you are not a professional mechanic. If you get the owners manual for your truck it will also include the wiring diagram.The owners manual will also go over the gauges and drawings will tell you what goes where.

The second manual(s) are the work shop manuals. Try and find the 2 volume manuals as they are the most complete. The Hays manual is poorly written with a lot of generic boilerplate sections that are of minimal help.

If you are going to be doing a lot of work on your truck a parts manual often helps as they have better drawings of parts and list parts that may be missing from your truck.

Donnie
09-23-2014, 06:44 PM
I may be out to lunch on this one.............but, I like the multi book, white soft cover series repair manuals..I have 2 complete sets & only 1 truck.....how'ed that happen??????..... nobody else like these??............................donnie