PDA

View Full Version : Amazing what a little throttle will do

ybt502r
09-28-2014, 10:54 AM
I've had my SIII for a dozen years, hauling it around a number of locations. Most of them (except Calgary), I was pretty much the only Series truck in the vicinity, so all the maintenance and upkeep I did myself. It takes work, but I'd managed to keep things running, mostly. This being the only Series I'd ever driven, I just got used to how it ran. Now in Anchorage, and I've found a real Series mechanic, and it took him one short (aborted) drive to realize something was missing. Apparently, in upgrading my carburetor(s) over the years (especially from a Weber to a Zenith), I did not understand the linkages well enough to set them up differently. I've been driving all this time with only about 2/3's of the throttle available to me. Ed (Steadfast Offroad) quickly updated the linkage, and now I can actually accelerate just a bit - and even go up a slight highway grade in overdrive. I feel like I've been given a turbocharger. Yes, it's still slow, but I've been slower all these years.

Just one observation that only having one truck to compare to is not much to compare with.

SafeAirOne
09-28-2014, 01:17 PM
No better way to make a 2.25 seem zippy than to de-tune it by 30%, drive it for a couple of years, then, give it back all 70 of it's blistering horsepower, then go for a drive!

;)

printjunky
09-30-2014, 05:30 PM
I know the feeling. As I've related here before, I drove an SIII in college that must have been detuned 20%. I had no idea, until, on my current daily driver SIII, I rebuilt the top end, switched to a Rochester, and tuned it to within in an inch of it's life, that I could idle smoothly and almost silently down below 800, and cruise pretty comfortably (if a bit loudly) at 60 on the highway all day. (Just proved it with a 500-mile round trip to Oktoberfest in New Glarus, WI, and Milwaukee).

Eric W S
10-01-2014, 03:33 PM
I know the feeling. As I've related here before, I drove an SIII in college that must have been detuned 20%. I had no idea, until, on my current daily driver SIII, I rebuilt the top end, switched to a Rochester, and tuned it to within in an inch of it's life, that I could idle smoothly and almost silently down below 800, and cruise pretty comfortably (if a bit loudly) at 60 on the highway all day. (Just proved it with a 500-mile round trip to Oktoberfest in New Glarus, WI, and Milwaukee).

New Glarus Oktoberfest? Whaaaaa? How did I miss this? Hope you had fun.