PDA

View Full Version : What do you like best in the way of t-case and diff fluids and weights?

VTRover
06-25-2007, 05:10 PM
I've been going through my 61 Series IIA and finding that a lot of stuff I paid a shop to do was ignored. So I'm going to do a full service of the fluids. I use Amsoil gear oil in my Defender diffs so I might go that way. What do you all like for the t-case? How often do you change the fluids? I'm going to go with LR one shot grease for the swivel balls. Any advise suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

luckyjoe
06-25-2007, 06:19 PM
I use GL4, 80W90 dino-oil in:
- Diffs
- T-case
- Gearbox
- Swivels
- Steering Relay

I usually drive through deep-enough water well before the change-out date comes around. I also do a full fluid change before major trips...

Regards,

Tom P.

TeriAnn
06-25-2007, 11:24 PM
I've been going through my 61 Series IIA and finding that a lot of stuff I paid a shop to do was ignored. So I'm going to do a full service of the fluids. I use Amsoil gear oil in my Defender diffs so I might go that way. What do you all like for the t-case? How often do you change the fluids?

I think what weight you chose depends upon your climate. You want to use GL4 compliant oil and not GL5 oil. GL-4 is friendlier to bronze.

May I suggest that you get a copy of the owners manual. The owners manual takes you through all the normal maintenance items in very good detail, unlike the workshop manual. It also provides a copy of the factory reccomended maintenance schedule. The schedule should be very important to anyone wanting to keep their Series Land Rover in good operating condition over the long haul.

To answer your question, the manual sez:

Every 4K miles: change engine oil & filter & Lube grease fittings

Every 12K miles: drain & replace all the 90 wt in the vehicle (gearbox, transfercase, diffs, swivels)

Every 24K miles: relube prop shaft sliding splines

Every 18 months drain and change all brake & clutch fluids.

Every 3 years replace all rubber seals, pistons and hoses in the brake and clutch systems

I'm going to go with LR one shot grease for the swivel balls. Any advise suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EEEWWWW Don't do it! :eek:
CV joints have more clearance to flow thicker fluids than U joint needle bearings. You can get away with it if you do not put long miles on your Land Rover. Otherwise carry spare front axle U joints. Use 90 wt. instead :thumb-up:

On the other hand one shot grease works very well in Series steering boxes.

Mercedesrover
06-26-2007, 05:03 AM
I'm going to go with LR one shot grease for the swivel balls.

Run Lucas Hub Oil in the front swivels. Thicker than gear oil, great for the wheel bearings (which won't get much grease with one-shot) and it doesn't leak as easily on pitted swivels than 90w.

jim

Jim-ME
06-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Where does one find Lucas Hub oil?

Mercedesrover
06-27-2007, 05:48 AM
http://www.lucasoil.com/images/products/3199b7d11f45689a854349665c606a75.gif

Any good parts store can get it for you, if they don't already carry it.

Jim