PDA

View Full Version : Friend Looking to Buy a Defunct Rover - Need Title Help

Bostonian1976
06-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Hi all,

A friend of mine is looking at an old '64 Rover that is in about the same shape as my gray Rover. It's poppy red and complete, with a perfect body. The guy doesn't want much for it. Now - friend of mine lives in TN and is trying to figure out how you get a vehicle like this back on the road with just a bill of sale. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm sure you guys have dealt w/ this before. Thanks in advance...

LaneRover
06-25-2007, 07:27 PM
When did Massachusetts or Tennessee first start putting Titles on cars? In Maine it wasn't until the 70's and the only reason we did was because too many people were coming from just south of us to come up and steal cars that had no title. So if either Tennessee or Massachusett's wasn't titling cars in 1964 it might not be a problem.

Most of the Rovers I have put on the road in Maine have been with just a bill of sale.

Alacrity
06-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Some states are sticky on this for obvious reasons - others not so much. In the not so much states, normally you need a Bill of Sale, some statement of fact regarding the situation of the vehicle, and sometimes a letter of indemnification (against other claims of ownership) - probably a few other things. If the situation warrants a title may be issued.

If ownership can be demonstrated to pre-date, maybe slam dunk. You may get somewhere with the model year date - or may not. State BMVs are capricious.

TN looks sticky - from what little I read on their DMV site. If he's a TN resident, have him call the TN DMV. Barring that find a friendly dealer who'll know the title ropes, a title service or register it as a self-built - if TN has that provision.

Has he talked to the state DMV yet? If not start there.

Luck
Alac

Bostonian1976
06-25-2007, 09:01 PM
one thought - the truck still has a plate on it from 1979. I wonder if that plus bill of sale would be enough. I could even buy it for him and transfer...

Leslie
06-25-2007, 10:48 PM
When I registered my SIII in TN, I had no title in hand, I had a bill-of-sale. The DMV required that I have a "rubbing", not a photo, of the serial number (even though I even had removed the plate from the dash and had it in hand at the time). They do a search to see if that number came up as it being stolen, and after a certain period of time (a month, if I remember it correctly), they deemed it clear and mailed me a new title for it.

Bostonian1976
06-26-2007, 07:33 AM
that sounds promising. how long ago was that?

Leslie
06-26-2007, 08:25 AM
that sounds promising. how long ago was that?

Would've been in '98, in Knox Co.... they were bigger sticklers than other places I'd dealt w/ before in TN (ie, Putnam Co, Hawkins Co, Sullivan Co...)

Bostonian1976
06-26-2007, 08:31 AM
Would've been in '98, in Knox Co.... they were bigger sticklers than other places I'd dealt w/ before in TN (ie, Putnam Co, Hawkins Co, Sullivan Co...)

might have to hook you up with another Rover person who's going to rebuild this truck. It's a beauty - '64 that was taken off the road in 81 for a blown first gear....

Leslie
06-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Where in TN is he located?

Bostonian1976
06-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Where in TN is he located?

he's in Maryville, TN

galen216
06-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Check here: http://www.its-titles.com/

When my truck came over from England Pennsylvania was being difficult because some paperwork read 1976 and some paperwork read 1977. The state felt we were trying something illegal and would not issue a title even though the guy I bought it from does this all the time in Pa.

So we went to this service in Vegas listed above. Made up my own bill of sale, signed it and sent $250. Couple of weeks later I got plates and registration for Maine. The correct thing to then do it take the Maine registration to your local DMV and transfer it. I drove on the Maine plates for the full year's registration then transferred. Only later did I find out that Maine has inspection and mine should have been inspected for that year.

EDIT: Looks like the process is a little different for a vehicle as old as yours, but I've used this company and they are trustworthy.

Leslie
06-26-2007, 06:35 PM
he's in Maryville, TN

He's only two hours away.....

But, Scotty's closer..... British Cars and Parts in Knoxville, not far from the Knoxville Zoo, on the Asheville Highway. It's in the back of the Lariat Lounge.

FWIW....