PDA

View Full Version : Running Warm

bensdad
10-03-2014, 06:00 PM
My '60 S2 SWB seems to be running pretty warm. I don't really trust the temp guage and I don't really understand the cooling system enough to troubleshoot correctly. I guess my questions are:
-do the inexpensive infrared temp readers work well?
-is the thermostat (if that is the problem) for the early series 2 available and where would I find one?
-the smaller hose that runs back along the engine towards the bulkhead has a shut off valve on it should this be open?
Kindest regards for any suggestions. -Matt

Contractor
10-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Infrared thermometer is a good idea, I don't believe any of the gauges half the time.

I believe you can get the thermostat from our host should that be your issue. The hose that has a valve on it is for your heater.

Manny
10-03-2014, 09:38 PM
You may have an airlock. Have you recently changed the coolant? Sometimes air gets trapped in the system and your engine will run hot.
The thermostat is available through our host.
The hose with a shutoff valve leads to your heater. the valve shuts coolant from running to the heater. I usally have it shut off in the summer and only have it open in the winter.

To burp your system, you need to be on an incline or ramps. Open the valve for the heater, open the radiator cap and run the engine. once the thermostat opens you should see air escape. top off the coolant put the radiator cap back on and your done. You should also see the coolant circulating, if you don't see this you may have a bad water pump. Our host sells them as well. I shared my video of burping my Series 3 (The Warthog). At :30 you will see the coolant swell and then an air bubble and again at :37

http://youtu.be/sSYWbS9JaYY?list=UUim6-ozcsrjogwpCBWKMCJg

bensdad
10-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Okay, thanks. I will try both the temp reader as well as "burping" the cooling system. Will check the water pump too. I still wonder about the early thermostats and their availability.

SafeAirOne
10-04-2014, 11:22 AM
-do the inexpensive infrared temp readers work well?

Well enough for this purpose.

-is the thermostat (if that is the problem) for the early series 2 available and where would I find one?

Not sure on that one. What did Rovers North say?

-the smaller hose that runs back along the engine towards the bulkhead has a shut off valve on it should this be open?
Kindest regards for any suggestions.

As previously said, "yes" if you want cabin heat, "no" if you don't. In a true overheating situation, running the hot coolant through an additional small radiator (the heater core) with the heater fan on full blast can make a difference.

bensdad
10-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks. Sent a message off to RN about the thermostat, but haven't heard back yet. Will follow up thanks for all the advice.

darbsclt
10-04-2014, 04:01 PM
If you haven't checked your thermostat, you may want to open the housing & make sure that you have a "skirted" thermostat.

If someone has replaced the original skirted thermostat with a non-skirted one... it will run warm/hot since, even at temperature, the coolant isn't circulating properly through the engine. TeriAnn has a nice writeup on her website HERE (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Thermostats.htm)