PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet will not un lock

clearcut
10-04-2014, 04:09 PM
HI All

Any tricks on opening a bonnet.

Handle will not move much.

First lock release ok, but not the second one

Justed about passed out, taking all that glue from windows tint!!

It about 90 out here in Santa Cruz today

New Picture on Sunday

thanks for help

thanks

josh

greenmeanie
10-04-2014, 04:54 PM
The lip on the big spring bayonet thingy on the bonnet has most probably caught on the edge of the hole in the sheetmetal slam panel. This means something is the system has become misaligned. Start by making sure the bonnet hing pins are pushed all the way against the side of hte hinge mounts on the bulkhead. Then try pushing the nose of the bonnet all the way to one side and then the other. ALL else fails you may need to take the grille off and undo the bolts holding the catch plate to the slam panel and get in there with a big screwdriver ans lever things around.

Try 115° in an AZ summer and I'll show sympathy.

TeriAnn
10-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Try 115° in an AZ summer and I'll show sympathy.

For Santa Cruz 90 degrees is pretty hot for an early Oct day but not all that hot for the San Lorenzo valley during indian summer.

But what do you mean 115 degrees? I think the hottest it got here in AZ during this summer was about 88 or 89 and that was only for a few days. Most of the summer has been in the high 70's & low to mid 80's. This morning's low was 36 degrees and the high is supposed to be about 72. Sunny & a slight breeze through the pine forest.

Anyway, The green meanie is probably right about the bonnet sliding to the side just enough to get the civilian latch out of alignment. As he suggested try pushing the bonnet to one side or the other. The radiator bulkhead can be pushed in or pulled out a little so if the misalignment is front to rear you can try pulling or pushing the radiator bulkhead.

If you don't want this to happen again you could always ditch the civilian bonnet latch and replace it with the military latches. I did that a couple decades ago. No problems since.

SafeAirOne
10-05-2014, 11:26 AM
But what do you mean 115 degrees? I think the hottest it got here in AZ during this summer was about 88 or 89 and that was only for a few days.

I suspect this was a few years ago. Probably the year it hit 46 or 47 celcius across the border in El Centro, CA. Fortunately it was a "dry" heat. :p

Please post what you did to resolve the stuck hood problem--Though my hood latches just fine right now, I may someday need to do the same.

greenmeanie
10-05-2014, 11:28 AM
For Santa Cruz 90 degrees is pretty hot for an early Oct day but not all that hot for the San Lorenzo valley during indian summer.

But what do you mean 115 degrees? I think the hottest it got here in AZ during this summer was about 88 or 89 and that was only for a few days. Most of the summer has been in the high 70's & low to mid 80's. This morning's low was 36 degrees and the high is supposed to be about 72. Sunny & a slight breeze through the pine forest.

I didn't go through the summer in AZ but that sounds pretty unusual. For all the years I was there there were several months of 100° - 115° weather down on the valley floor around Phoenix.

clearcut
10-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Got it to open this am

Used your bag of tricks

Now how to line it up correct?

thanks

SafeAirOne
10-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Got it to open this am

Used your bag of tricks

So what'd you do? Take off the grille and loosen it up from below, or simply push the hood one way or the other?

clearcut
10-05-2014, 02:12 PM
First took of grill

Added some lub

Worked the lock

Did not work

Pushed the bonnet from right to left as you said to do, at the hing plate.

Pushed up and down, left to right, then it opened

thanks

josh

TeriAnn
10-05-2014, 03:25 PM
I suspect this was a few years ago. Probably the year it hit 46 or 47 celcius across the border in El Centro, CA. Fortunately it was a "dry" heat. :p

That was / is this summer & Fahrenheit. We didn't quite hit 90 degrees. Close for a few days though.

I didn't go through the summer in AZ but that sounds pretty unusual. For all the years I was there there were several months of 100° - 115° weather down on the valley floor around Phoenix.

It is pretty normal here. The all time record high temp here in Flagstaff is 97 degrees. I would not go South into the valley during the summer unless you offered me a large sum of money. There are very few homes in Flagstaff that have air conditioners as it doen't get into the nineties often enough to justify the cost. I would just as soon stay here where the summer in in the 70's & 80's.

Glad the bonnet got opened.

SafeAirOne
10-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Of the 2 times I've driven through Flagstaff, I couldn't help but notice a completely separate climate from that of Phoenix. The alpine environment and temps reminded me of the White Mountains in New Hampshire. I drove my through FLG and PHX with my 109 when I moved to CA, but towed it home 2 years later almost solely because of the 6000 vertical-foot climb required to get up to FLG from PHX.

As far as the hood goes, thanks for the info clearcut--I'll keep that in mind when mine inevitably gets stuck.

TeriAnn
10-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Of the 2 times I've driven through Flagstaff, I couldn't help but notice a completely separate climate from that of Phoenix. The alpine environment and temps reminded me of the White Mountains in New Hampshire. I drove my through FLG and PHX with my 109 when I moved to CA, but towed it home 2 years later almost solely because of the 6000 vertical-foot climb required to get up to FLG from PHX.

Flagstaff is at 7000 feet near the Southern edge of the Colorado Plateau surrounded by a national forest (ponderosa pines). Lots of BLM trails through the forested mountains starting at the edge of town. 3 National monuments within a half hour of downtown, Grand Canyon and meteor crater 1-1/2 hrs out of town, Monument Valley 3-1/2 hours out of town, Brice, Zion, Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol reef & Moab are well within a day's drive. But yes, everywhere is down hill from Flagstaff and it has its own climate which is VERY different from the Phoenix area. In spring & fall their lows and our highs (70's) are very similar. During the summer their lows (high to mid 90's ) tend to be about 10 degrees hotter than out highs (high 70's to high 80's) But some depends if you like big cities or not. Flag has a population in the mid 60,000s about a third of which are students.

I only mention this because I have the only Series truck in Flag and it would be nice to see another in the streets. But yes if you leave here it is all uphill on the way back. But you almost don't notice it coming back from the Grand canyon area.

As far as the hood goes, thanks for the info clearcut--I'll keep that in mind when mine inevitably gets stuck.

I solved that problem a couple decades ago buy switching to Land Rover military bonnet latches.

bugeye88
10-06-2014, 09:48 AM
Terriann,
Sound a lot like Park City. We're at 7200' and temps are similar to Flag, except the 10' of snow we get in the winter!

Rob
Bugeye88

TeriAnn
10-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Terriann,
Sound a lot like Park City. We're at 7200' and temps are similar to Flag, except the 10' of snow we get in the winter!

The snow can get that deep but most years is a lot lower. I the last 4 years I think it only got about 2 or 2-1/2 feet deep. So mostly less shoveling here. Of course just North of town in the peaks we do have a ski resort but I think it is about 5 hundred feet higher.

clearcut
10-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Here is the update

Reset the lock plate..

Oil it.

I also found it has a double lock

1) Push lever from right to left.
2) Bonnet moved up. ( First lock)
3) Next push down Bonnet (not to hard far)
4) While hold it down, Push lever from right to left

It opens right up

thanks for the help