PDA

View Full Version : Generator - New, won't charge ?

KurtWar
06-25-2007, 08:24 PM
I parked my Positive Earth IIA three years ago in my garage but before I did that I replaced the generator and found that this new one was not charging the battery. I though it was the patched up wiring harnes so I just finished replacing it with a new harnes and the generator is still not charging. The amp meter is also new so I'm asking for some help.
My Dad keeps telling me that I need to "Flash the Fields". Can anyone tell me if thats the case with new generators ? It thats out, what else could it be?

rovertek
07-01-2007, 11:26 AM
hi, you need to excite the field coils, in the center of the regulator you will find the field wire( marked F on reg ) you unplug that wire ,take a test lead connect it to batt positive and just touch it to the wire for a second, plug wire back in to regulator, try starting bringing the idle up some and it now should be charging unless you have another problem.....

KurtWar
07-01-2007, 06:09 PM
I just finished up the last of the wiring this weekend and when I fired it up I found that the unit is now charging. Thanks for the info on regulator field wire trick. I'll keep that info handy if she stops working.

Thanks again

Kurt