PDA

View Full Version : I have a need for new steel rims for 1967 Land Rover 109, NADA

clearcut
10-08-2014, 03:59 PM
What would you get,

1) Stock replacements

2) One the heavy duty one, may need to wheel studs?,

3) Would they make 15/16 wheels studs?

4) Would you take the risk of pressing out the old studs and new back into the drums,

thanks

josh

kenscs
10-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Ughh. Honestly, after all that I have been through, I would get the stock thickness rims. When I first got my truck, I wanted to make it into a indestructible machine, so I ordered a set of 4 Wolf Rims from our hosts thinking "now I have the baddest and best". Well, 2 years on, I am still dealing with this decision. Here is how it has gone on my end:

Put new rims on, and mounted. Original IIa studs too short. Hmm. What is happening. Research research. New rims too thick for original studs. Ok, order new longer studs. Hmmm. None that I can find available for IIa Hubs. Cannot pass inspection. I have to fix this. Talked to our hosts. They smartly recommended trying Series III studs on IIa Hubs. Well, it kind worked, but I would not recommend it.

The first wheel I tried worked fine, and the new Series III studs settled into the IIa hubs and tightened up fine. However, the second wheel was a disaster. The studs started spinning in place after I got the nut tightened up. Now it was stuck on with no way to back it off! With an hour of sweat pouring down, I finally got it backed off far enough off to hacksaw the new stud off. The Series III studs just don't have the grip and design it seems to hold under torque on the II a hub.

So where am i now since i gave away all my original wheels? Two out of compliance front wheels with studs short of nut face, one old rim that works with original parts and one wolf wheel with series III studs on IIa hub that seemed to be "ok" with the III studs.

One want to fix from what I have heard is to order Series III hubs all around. At $79.95 a piece, it has turned into an expensive and non-OEM potential fix. The other option I have considered is to convert the front hubs to Disc brake conversion and then be fine with new rims and stud length, but down $1,250 for conversion.

All in all, I wish I would have just ordered rims that worked with original Series IIa hubs and posted the question first like you did to the Forum!!!

kenscs
10-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Also found this thread that might help. I have the press fit Series IIa hub (1972 IIa Ex-MOD).

http://landroveraddict.com/forums/thread.cfm?threadID=50049