PDA

View Full Version : Still heavy clunking when starting in 1st gear - what gives?

GeniusAndHisAssistant
10-10-2014, 02:19 PM
We thought it was the front drive shaft finger splines that had worn a bit and had some slop. Pulled the front shaft and drove the car without the for'd shaft in - it was a little better. Put in a new shaft from RN that has new universals and back to square 1 - horrible clunking while starting to move forward.

We drove car before new shaft was in without floor boards in and it looked like the whole clutch and tranny assembly bangs forward and backward - might this be a slipping clutch (or) junky motor mounts? I would guess replacing the motor mounts is a big job? or can you just support the engine with a bit of tension and pop the mounts?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

J & E

triumphtr7guy
10-11-2014, 09:32 AM
I think you are on the right track, check the mounts, both tranny and motor, the tranny mounts can be replaced without taking everything out, and while on the subject, how is the tranny mount cross member?? Will have to look at mine to see about the motor mounts. Your replacement of the drive shaft and no change leads towards the mounts. Check the universals in the rear drive shaft and the shackles on the rear end, look at the spring mounts too while you are their. Not knowing the vintage of your Landy and the condition makes it a little harder to take a shot at problems. You are on the right track though, carry on!!
Bruce. 73 Series iii in pieces and many TR7's in the same condition, sigh.

GeniusAndHisAssistant
10-12-2014, 06:54 AM
Thanks Bruce for the tips.

We have rewelded the frame and cross mount as needed so that is not the issue, it is very solid. This is a 1970 IIA. I think the shackles and mounts are good - we just had it all apart last winter. Maybe it is the tranny mount too? We'll look at it today - a sunny day forcasted. What is involved in replacing the front motor mounts? Just suspend the motor from a sling and go for it? The clanking sound seems to come from the drive train system - but that may be because the whole setup is shaking from loose motor mounts? I just can't tell if the clutch is slipping and causing it..... I don't really know the symptoms for each problem specifically.

J and e

Jack B
10-12-2014, 09:40 PM
I had a similar clunk and found it to be a loose rear drive shaft at the emergency brake drum. They nuts appeared to be tight but when I applied torque to them, they snugged up and the clunk disappeared.

JB

LaneRover
10-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Is it a constant cluck like something spinning or a clunk that happens once or twice before it goes away?
One time I had a clunk I couldn't figure out and a friend diagnosed it to the u-bolts holding the springs to the axles. This one would just clunk once or twice as I would start out.

LaneRover
10-13-2014, 01:30 PM
. . . aaaannnndddd I just saw the thread that says you solved this!