PDA

View Full Version : Slow speed start up clunking RESOLVED!!

GeniusAndHisAssistant
10-12-2014, 09:30 AM
It was not the drive shafts, not the motor mounts, it was oil in the clutch. It occurred to me that if I wet the clutch with brake cleaner and I noticed a change in the problem that the issue was there. Hence, removed the center floor, pulled the shifter base plate, and the inspection plate over the clutch - enough access to spray a 1/2 can over the plates when running, and in between numerous spots when stopped. Excess runs out the bottom. To my delight I was not sent through the roof in an explosion. Then reassembled and drove up and down a hill.... like new! At least now I know the source of the problem. Maybe it is fixed? Time will tell. Now I just hope the micro brake cleaner tube that fell in the inspection port does not fester in the works. OOOOps.

Thanks for all the insight of this forum. We could never have figured this out - or afforded this rebuild without all of your help. Wonderful you all are!!

Hip hip... hooray!

j & e

DesignerV
10-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Glad you got it resolved!
Coincidentally, my '70 has the exact same issue. I had a feeling it was the clutch slipping/jumping, but I've just been trying to get it to run properly before I dug into the drivetrain...
I will try this when I get to that point!
Thank you for posting this!

o2batsea
10-13-2014, 04:47 AM
Oil on the clutch means the rear main seal on the engine is probably not sealing. Unfortunately this requires removing the engine to replace the seal as the crankshaft must come out.

GeniusAndHisAssistant
10-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Oh my.... that makes sense. As sweet at the temporary cure was it was just that... temporary. The main seal must be dripping down there as you say. At least we were able to figure out that it was the clutch plates and not elsewhere in the drive train. Thanks for the insight. Might have to pull the whole lot out now. Maybe this winter I guess.

Thanks again for the help!

o2batsea
10-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Yup. Cheap part that does a critical chore and buried deep. BUT, your Rover Karma quotient will go up several notches after you do this repair....And you should be able to keep more oil on the inside than the outside.
This may help:
http://forums.roversnorth.com/showthread.php?10715-Rear-main-engine-seal-replacement&referrerid=49

siii8873
10-20-2014, 05:57 AM
Oil on the clutch means the rear main seal on the engine is probably not sealing. Unfortunately this requires removing the engine to replace the seal as the crankshaft must come out.

the entire crank does not need to be removed just the rear bearing cap.