PDA

View Full Version : Old Leaf Springs

bensdad
10-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Can you rejuvenate old leaf springs by simply spraying wd40 into the sides of the springs? Will it work its way inside? Or is there a better way? Thanks gang.

stomper
10-19-2014, 05:50 AM
You can, and should lubricate your springs annually. Don't use WD-40, it is too thin, and is not a great lubricant. I use fluid film, which was made for this application. You can also use 90wt gear oil.

Jack up the frame so the spring is unloaded. Coat the springs with lubricant, and then drive across a few ditches to articulate the springs. Bobs your uncle!

Revtor
10-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Buy a spray can of whatever lube you choose on your next outing. I used silicone lube. Every time you stop to take a break or for the night, get under there and spray all sides of all the springs. Consider a can of lube as the yearly maintenance cost. Fluid film is great for this, but if you cant find it, its no big deal since this would be one of those applications where anything you do is 200% better than nothing.
~Steve

lumpydog
10-19-2014, 08:11 PM
Agreed with prior posters. Plus - great advice to unweight the springs. I use T-9 Boeshield. Creeps really well into crevices.

stomper
10-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Just an FYI, Fluid Film is availible at all Car Quest and NAPA dealers everywhere. They also make applicator nozzles to spay into body cavities like waxoil. It's an impressive product.

yorker
10-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Fluid Film is the way to go IMHO. Boeshield isn't a bad idea either. People will insist anything greasy will collect grit and make a lapping compound that will wear the springs-and it will, but if they are already all rusty and nasty they are probably worn anyhow and lubing them can buy you some more time (years) before you really need new ones.

WD40 really won't work well long term, you want something thicker, more oily.

bensdad
10-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Thanks gang. Will follow your sage advice!

Eric W S
10-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Or get some anti-friction material. I'd order a new center pin from our hosts and seperate the pack. Rust inhibitor paint, sand smooth and add the anti-friction pads and reassemble. Looks nicer and will actually work longer. Terri Ann has a write up on her site. Do it right the first time.

Boesheild in just as worthless as WD-40. It's a decent chain lube but that's it.