PDA

View Full Version : Wiper motors

sleam
10-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Hey folks, The wipers motor on my 72 SIII started smoking and the mechanic simply disconnected it. I've been looking online and see that new replacements are $379 here. Do you know if 1) I can use a single speed wiper motor? Or 2) Can I use motors from other models, an SIIa for example? What do you recommend as I can't afford a new one but want to be safe. Thanks, S

LaneRover
10-22-2014, 10:17 AM
I don't really know the answer to your question BUT until you get your answer (and thus can get it fixed) I have had great results with Rainx on the windshield. At times more effective than the wipers themselves.

TedW
10-22-2014, 11:36 AM
I don't really know the answer to your question BUT until you get your answer (and thus can get it fixed) I have had great results with Rainx on the windshield. At times more effective than the wipers themselves.

X2 - Rain-X is amazing on Rover windshields.

o2batsea
10-22-2014, 04:17 PM
I have never used this service, but it is far less money than buying a new motor:
http://www.british-car-part-restoration.com/index.html

Eric W S
10-23-2014, 11:14 AM
I have never used this service, but it is far less money than buying a new motor:
http://www.british-car-part-restoration.com/index.html

I contacted him. He will not even take any new work as his queue is months long right now.

Call Ike at pangolin and find a good used unit.

sleam
10-23-2014, 03:43 PM
I got Ike's number thanks and he said to call. I just posted another thread, should've used this one, for another question about removing the motor. ANyway, I'll call Ike tomorrow! Oh, and I'll look for some Rain-X, should work here as i"m in NM and it rarely rains anyway!

disco2hse
10-25-2014, 02:38 AM
The wiper motor is very easy to repair and the motor is the same as those found on many British cars of the era. I suggest you pull it out and dismantle it and see what is the problem. It is not possible to say why it may have burned or what, but once you are inside you will see the workings are pretty basic and even the armature is replaceable with, for example Morris parts.

To give you an idea, the brushes on mine have worn out previously so I pulled the motor apart and shaped new brushes with a razor blade from similarly shaped brushes that cost about $1.50. Since mine is a series III motor I have two brushes, one for normal speed and one for high speed.

SafeAirOne
10-25-2014, 05:27 AM
...an even slower speed?

triumphtr7guy
10-25-2014, 11:55 AM
A bit of research in my Lucas interchange manual shows the wiper motor the same part # for MGB from 65 to 73, the housings for the gear may be different or may be close enough to use. Will have to go out to the garage later and take a closer look at the motor and gear houing, probably pretty close to the B motors, thank goodness for "parts bin engineering" have used a lot of spare Brit car parts on my Series III, will give you an update upon further investigation, good luck, Bruce

disco2hse
10-25-2014, 02:01 PM
...an even slower speed?

haha thanks Mark. I didn't notice the text got clipped at the

SafeAirOne
10-25-2014, 02:04 PM
...end of your post?

;)

Eric W S
10-27-2014, 03:41 PM
The wiper motor is very easy to repair and the motor is the same as those found on many British cars of the era. I suggest you pull it out and dismantle it and see what is the problem. It is not possible to say why it may have burned or what, but once you are inside you will see the workings are pretty basic and even the armature is replaceable with, for example Morris parts.

To give you an idea, the brushes on mine have worn out previously so I pulled the motor apart and shaped new brushes with a razor blade from similarly shaped brushes that cost about $1.50. Since mine is a series III motor I have two brushes, one for normal speed and one for high speed.

The is not entirely true for the earlier single motor wiper motors. There is limited inter change with other models. Parts are also scarce with parts motors going for 50 or so...

cedryck
10-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Mine need attention too, one of the is hyterical, a friend observed it and laughed, it goes fast in one direction, and crawls in the other, guess I should give that one some tlc,,