PDA

View Full Version : Removing wiper motor question

sleam
10-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Hello, I have a wiper motor question for you! On my 72 SIII, I've removed the bolts that hold the motor to the body, disconnected the power, loosened the union nut but what do I do with the drive cable? Do I need to detach it from the wiper arms? How? Or am I missing something? I've looked at the various manuals and can't work it out so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks, s

SafeAirOne
10-23-2014, 04:57 PM
To me, it looks as if the motor, cable housing and wheelboxes must come out all at once, as a whole unit, then, once that's out, you have access to the rear of the wiper motor gearbox, where you can remove the cover and disassemble/withdraw the connecting rod and remove the end of the cable once it's apart:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3953/15611316815_e8285f54a5_b.jpg

superstator
10-23-2014, 05:34 PM
You should be able to remove the cover to the wiper motor and unhook the cable from it. Undo the nut that holds the motor to the cable housing, and you can rotate the motor assembly enough to do that, and remove the motor assembly without messing with the rest of it.

Easier said than done, though. Replacing the wiper motor is still the single most frustrating repair I've made on my truck. And that's saying something.

lumpydog
10-23-2014, 09:16 PM
This is not that hard. SafeAir's image is great. You really only need to follow steps 2, 3 and 4. The cable is held into the motor by the connector rod - number 4 in the picture.

Remove the cover
Remove the circlip and washer from the connecting rod (#3) - use an eyeglasses screwdriver to pop off the circlip
With the Circlip off, pull off the connecting rod/arm (#4)

With the union nut off, you can now free the cable from the motor unit.

The hard part is getting this done while in-place in the dash. The drive cable prevents the motor from moving far. The trick is to turn the motor to access the cover, etc. Recommendation: Use painters tape to mask off the paint work below and around the motor as you will be jostling it quite a bit and will scratch the heck out of the paint, etc while you work on it in-place.

What are you trying to do? replace the motor? Lubricate?

triumphtr7guy
10-24-2014, 10:44 AM
As the folks have said, it comes apart pretty simply, have done a bunch of these on Brit cars, all the same technology. One important note, keep a close grip on the circle clip, it is guaranteed to go into a sub-orbital flight path and never be seen from again!! and it will always happen on a day when no hardware stores are open and no reprlacements are available!! Sods law!! Good luck, Bruce