PDA

View Full Version : HELP! how to repair sheared off transfer case pan stud??

Understatedcoolness
11-02-2014, 07:36 PM
One of the studs that holds the transfer case pan in place was broken off by po. It looks to have struck a rock. How can I replace this? Is it threaded in or ?? I attached a pic so please take a look and share your ideas. This causes a rather annoying gear oil leak. Thanks in advance for the advise!

yorker
11-02-2014, 08:36 PM
One of the studs that holds the transfer case pan in place was broken off by po. It looks to have struck a rock. How can I replace this? Is it threaded in or ?? I attached a pic so please take a look and share your ideas. This causes a rather annoying gear oil leak. Thanks in advance for the advise!

Drill and tap a new hole next to it?

SafeAirOne
11-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Yes, it's just threaded in. Half of my studs come out with the nuts every time I remove my transfer case cover.

There are a few methods at your disposal to remove the broken-off stud:

1) If there is any stud sticking up above the surface of the case after you remove the cover, try to grab it and turn it out with some vise-grips or a stud extractor.

2) Center punch the broken stud and drill down the center with a left-hand drill bit. Chances are that it will unscrew while drilling. Use caution because the transfer case is aluminum and if your drill wanders off the steel stud, it'll go through the aluminum case like a hot knife through butter.

3) Center punch the broken stud and drill the center with a normal (right-hand) drill bit, then use an extractor to remove the stud. Make sure you don't do anything that'll break the extractor--It's hardened steel and you'll never be able to drill it out.

4) Remove cover. Drill a hole, smaller in diameter than the broken stud diameter, in a short piece of 1/2" wide by 1/8" thick flat steel barstock, then, with the hole held directly over the broken stud, tack weld the bar to the stud and unscrew the stud using the barstock as a handle.

Good luck. These studs should come out pretty easily.

Understatedcoolness
11-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Mark. I will definitely try to unscrew it first as there is a little piece of the stud left that I may be able to grab onto. I hate to sound like a doof but when I go to unscrew it should I turn it counter clockwise? Just wondering if it may be reverse threaded for some reason. IF all else fails I like the idea of drilling and tapping a new hole next to it. Thanks Yorker, I had not thought of that. Much appreciated and I will update when I get it completed.

SafeAirOne
11-04-2014, 05:38 AM
Counterclockwise to loosen, just like normal stuff.

chuckstp
11-05-2014, 04:46 AM
I'm sure you put some sort of penetrating lubricant on it to help free the threads. One thing I found out is Liquid Wrench works much better than WD-40. I had a sender for the fuel tank that was completely frozen. After scraping the crud away and applying WD-40, oil, and cleaner for a day or so, I was able to get the arm to move, but not freely. Then after trying Liquid Wrench, it loosened up and worked normally in about a minute.