PDA

View Full Version : 64 IIA hesitating, sputtering, and bucking under load

LndRvr64
11-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Hi,

My IIA has started sputtering and bucking when accelerating hard or driving uphill. It is idling fine and doesn't seem to have any issues when cruising on flat roads. I tried putting some Heet in the tank thinking it may have gotten some condensation in it from sitting with near empty tank, but that hasn't cleared up the issue.

I will check point gaps and condenser tomorrow.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jack

SafeAirOne
11-07-2014, 05:36 AM
We can start off with the standard cure-all for all you folks that still use spark plugs to make your rovers go: Change the condensor.

Otherwise, it sounds like you don't have sufficient fuel flow to the engine above idle--check for blockage.

stomper
11-07-2014, 06:34 AM
Are you running a webber 34ICH? Change out the fuel filter, and check the screen at the inlet of the carb. If there is any sediment, clean it out, and crack the carb open to clean out the jets. Don't forget the sediment bowl if you have one.

These checks are all free from a financial perspective, so I would check them first, while you are waiting on a new condensor and a fresh set of points.

cedryck
11-07-2014, 03:22 PM
On a weber there is a jet port that you can unscrew to remove, and clean yes?

Contractor
11-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Put a T in the fuel line and check the fuel pressure. I experienced the same and had a bad fuel pump, idled fine and would run ok but once any decent amount of peddle was applied it would essentially run out of fuel and buck like crazy until it died.

Ideally you want something over 2 pounds.

LndRvr64
11-08-2014, 02:14 AM
Thanks all. I have a Solex. Will check the condenser and fuel pump next.

Enigma
11-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Pull off all the brass plugs on the solex. IIRC the plug on the bottom of the bowl has a fine brass screen that gets crudded up. Clean all with a carb cleaner. I think the ethanol fuels attack the metals used in the carb. At times a whitish gunk can form.there is also a screen at the banjo inlet fitting.

LndRvr64
11-21-2014, 12:59 AM
Pull off all the brass plugs on the solex. IIRC the plug on the bottom of the bowl has a fine brass screen that gets crudded up. Clean all with a carb cleaner. I think the ethanol fuels attack the metals used in the carb. At times a whitish gunk can form.there is also a screen at the banjo inlet fitting.

That seemed to be it. Cleaned it all out, and it is back running fine. Thanks Enigma.

Jack

LndRvr64
11-22-2014, 01:26 PM
I spoke to soon. It ran fine after cleaning the Solex out. Then sat for 4 days and yesterday exhibited the same sputtering and bucking as before. Couldn't get it above 5 mph in 1st gear. I'll check the Solex again and then go back to troubleshooting fuel pump.

Manny
11-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Make sure all vacuum hoses are snug. You may have a vacuum leak

bugeye88
11-23-2014, 11:05 AM
It could also be crud in the tank getting to the carb. Or a bad tank of gas. Ran good with the jets cleaned out, then bad after sitting sounds like crud in the carb.

Cheers,
Rob
Bugeye88

johnny2rovers
11-25-2014, 04:10 PM
Truck would idle just fine, but head up a hill and it would lean out and die.

Is the fuel tank from '64? Mine a '65.

I drained the tank and the crud. Added a couple of magnets to the tank.

Rust scale clogging the fuel pickup.

Has not happened since but I need to replace the old tank. I think a new one from RN is about $185

o2batsea
11-25-2014, 05:14 PM
Here's a thought. Don't use the gas that's in the tank until you know it's good. Get a five gallon fuel can and use it as a temporary tank to confirm that your tank is cruddy.
You may have to have the tank hot tanked and/or repaired

printjunky
12-11-2014, 11:04 AM
I still think vacuum leak.

cedryck
12-11-2014, 03:44 PM
replacing the cells in an old car that may be 40 years old, is a great idea, one or two new tanks can relieve headaches like you are describing, after draining fuel from my original 65 ex-mod top-fill military tanks I removed 1 and 1/2 cups of rust residue from one tank, plus the same tank leaked live a siv if I filled it with more than 6 gallons of fuel,

LndRvr64
12-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks all. I am thinking it must be crud in the tank, as it had been running normally until it got down to 1/4 tank. Filled it up and cleaned the Solex again and it is running OK again. Maybe I will try some magnets. Tank was swapped about 15 years ago, so I didn't think it would build sludge up yet, but it did sit for about 45 days as it shipped to Hawaii, so that may be it. Or maybe it is missing winter.
Jack