PDA

View Full Version : How do I install Kodiak heater hoses?

Understatedcoolness
11-09-2014, 05:36 PM
I have recently refurbished my Kodiak heater and am ready to reinstall it. New motor, new core and the switch all cleaned up. However, the hoses were not connected when I purchased the truck, so I need some advice. I have attached a pic of my truck as well as one from the original Kodiak install guide. My question is where do I connect the hose that goes from lower fitting on the heater core to the front of the motor. The brass fitting on the front of my head has the temperature gauge sensor in it (not shown in pic),so I can not connect it there. Ideas? Can I tee in near the letter A on the pic? And as you can see from the pic my temperature control valve is on the firewall rather than the heater housing as shown.

Thanks in advance

darbsclt
11-10-2014, 07:18 AM
I'm a little confused by your current set up...
Why is there a "T" in the existing line (leading from the therm housing)?
Where does the downward branch lead?
I've attached a picture from my engine which is similar to the install guide...

Understatedcoolness
11-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the reply. The current set up was on it when I purchased it and now that makes 2 of us that are confused. The line that comes from the T goes down to a fitting on the block below the exhaust manifold. Is that necessary? I wonder if I could I just plug it and have a setup more like yours, or is that attachment point necessary for the cooling system? It is the original 1960 motor.

ignotus
11-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Hi, The hose going to the block under the exhaust shouldn't be there, I suppose it doesn't hurt but there should be a drain tap for the block there, part #243237 in the old catalogue. A workshop manual and parts catalogue always help to have.

Understatedcoolness
11-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Kodiak heater tuned up and reinstalled! New motor ($15) Heater core rebuilt ($120) Add the draincock valve below the exhaust manifold ($15) New heater hoses ($6) one new defrost hose ($15) I managed to kind of salvage the longer one, original cloth type. Its definitely disintegrating but looks so cool with the metal ribs!:cool: Original chrome controls polished up, and switch cleaned. Control valve cleaned up and remounted to blower housing where it was supposed to be (previous owner had it mounted on firewall. Thanks for the previous advice!