PDA

View Full Version : esoteric parts suppliers needed - 2.5L petrol exhaust manifold

NickDawson
11-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Hey old friends,
Long time no post.
Some may remember, I have a bit of a FrankenRover —A III with a 80's era 2.5L petrol engine.

For some time, I've had it in the shop being (very slowly) worked on. The pace has suited because I moved twice and didn't have a way to store it in the meantime.

Last week, my guy took off the cracked exhaust manifold. Surprisingly the bolts didn't break...but he can't get a good weld on the ginormous crack.

So now I have two options
1) find a better welder
2) find a replacement

I seem to recall three things about these manifolds:
a) they are extremely rare
b) some UK parts houses might have them
c) someone in China was casting replacements

I'm most interested in pursuing option B. I remember a few years ago someone here suggested a great UK parts house which helped me with a cheap starter for the same engine. It wasn't Dingocroft. But I can't find the name. Anyone have any ideas on places to call?

Any other creative ideas about replacing this manifold?

Some might suggest I drop a standard 2.25L block in. I'm not opposed. Frankly, I'd probably sell the truck and start over before I did that. But honestly that's reallllllly low on my list of options if it can be avoided.

SafeAirOne
11-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Hmm.

What's the difference between the petrol and the diesel exhaust manifold?

2.5 Petrols are rare, when compared to the diesels.

[EDIT:] Eh. Nevermind. I see the petrol manifolds have that heat riser setup that was leftover from the 2.25's.

leafsprung
11-11-2014, 11:51 PM
If RN does not have it, I do.