PDA

View Full Version : How does parking brake work?

IIA
11-17-2014, 01:25 PM
I've got a 1970 Ser. IIA. Recently the parking brake got stuck. I couldn't fix it so I took it to my mechanic who is very good with Rovers. He say the "parking brake release" was covered with clay, dirt, etc. and needed to be cleaned and lubed. I have the Haynes manual and tried to read up on this but I can't figure out how the parking brake works or where this mysterious release is. Would someone mind explaining? Photos and drawings for the simple-minded would be greatly appreciated.

cedryck
11-17-2014, 04:11 PM
I can explain a little, and yes the picture in that book should help, but you really want the green bible,
the parking brake itself is a drum brake on the back of the transmision, and works like a brake at the wheels, with two shoes inside that expand. The only difference is that they expand with the assistance of a lever and not a wheel cylindar and hydrolics. Get a picture from someone here who has the green books, hope this helps,

Enigma
11-17-2014, 09:11 PM
On my rover with a straight brake handle there is a button at the handle end that releases a pawl at the handles lower end which is under the floor. This is where it cruds up and can rust. I cleaned this area well and lubed everything I could. I might have even used anti seize. While you are at it take the bronze bushings apart and clean and lube them as well. If you are really particular apply paint.

Cheers John