PDA

View Full Version : solve the problem

cedryck
12-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Funny story, Yesterday I back the 2a out of the garage, and there is a definite bind, somwhere in drive train.
Serious bind, car does not want to move. Left rear is skipping as I pull back into garage. Thought I might have toasted the rear pumpkin, so drop drive shaft, pull axles, and spin flange at pumpkin, rear diff is fine spins nicely, no residue or metal in 90W. Left rear tire still solid as rock. Think wheel bearing, pull tire off drum is solid will not move, so pull drum off hub spins like butter, hmm. Drum unusually tough to get off, put drum back on, will not spin. Remember I forged a deep water crossing before parking truck. Problem, new rear brake pads swollen so much from water, binding against drum. Problem solved, clean drum, skuff pads with emory cloth replace all parts,
Problem solved,

bugeye88
12-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Weird it was so bound up that the wheel skipped. Brake pad swelling? More like RUST and pads adjusted very close. Great that God ole British logic came through Holmes....

Cheer,
Rob
Bugeye88

Revtor
12-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Funny, Im dealing with a left rear tire binding somewhere in the brake system right now too. Had to put it in low range to get it back into the garage..

~Steve

cedryck
12-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Thanks, yes rust, and too closely adjusted pads contributed to the problem, anyway I love when I post a not so interesting question, thinking oh this is boring, and I read someone else had the same problem. My main point, the ability to logically diagnose problems, and solve them are CRITICAL to driving this type of car, because unless you have a very good mechanic and deep pockets, the driver of a Series Landrover will need to make repairs on things like this, thanks lads, cheers,