PDA

View Full Version : condensor death

scott
06-27-2007, 11:25 PM
my rides been dying. just cruising along and it loses power and stahls. i figured it wasn't missing so the ill must be something effecting all four cylinders equally. i changed out the points and went to change the condensor and found the screw holding it in was real loose. so i added some lok tite, tightened it down and it fire right up and screamed away. next day same thing. i got about 800 miles on it, just changed it out a few months ago. could being loose, poorly grounded, cause it to fail? it seems they should last a bit longer.

LaneRover
06-28-2007, 10:11 AM
The advice I always had about condensors is that if you have a good one just leave it be as they can be a bit finicky. I am sure that there are those who change it out with the points but if mine is working I just leave it.

So to answer your question in a round about way I would say that Condensors are a lot like Lucas electrics. Some last for ever, some die quick deaths.

LaneRover

scott
06-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Are you saying there's n such thing as an impermanent condenser failure?

badvibes
06-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Are you saying there's n such thing as an impermanent condenser failure?

dude-

You spreak the ingles nos so gud! If you're asking does a condenser go bad intermittently I don't think so. It's either good or bad as far as my experience goes. Do you have a new one to toss into your dizzy? Check with Jack and see what he's got laying around.

Also is your coil old or did you replace that recently? Have heard of coils acting kind of like this. Everything running fine until the coil gets warm and then problems with the engine dying or running badly.

J

scott
06-29-2007, 01:47 AM
heffy. i speak goof enough, i just type like crap. i'm out of town right now. i'll put in a new condenser sunday. coil's new but it was a cheapy from auto zone