PDA

View Full Version : New member saying hello

spf720
12-24-2014, 07:29 AM
Just wanted to say hello to fellow forum dwellers. I have had a couple Disco in the past and currently have an 04 as a daily driver. I just picked up a 68 Series IIa in Guatemala and had it shipped back to the states. It spent life so far on a coffee plantation before being redone by a couple guys in Guatemala. My wife and I went there and spent a few days driving the Rover around seeing the countryside.
I am a basic car guy that likes most anything that has wheels and spend some free time messing with them. The Rover is mostly done although I am sure they are never really done if you use them and I intend to be using it. It needs a few upgrades like heat and a winch. Maybe even overdrive in its future. Right now I am looking forward to exploring the places in Maine and Virginia my old muscle cars can't get me to.
Looking forward to the forum to learn and share.

o2batsea
12-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Come join us every third thursday of the month at Kilroy's in Springfield. It's the largest regular gathering of Rover enthusiasts in the USA. We have Series, Defender, and coilers.

jac04
12-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Welcome!
If you can, post some pictures of the new Land Rover and the old muscle cars. We'd all love to see them. Although I have sold off my Land Rover restorations, I still have my original-owner 68 Camaro convertible.

spf720
12-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the invite to Springfield. Not sure if you mean ME or MA although it probably doesn't matter as they are both a long way from Scarborough especially in the Rover. I may stop by in a different vehicle just to take it in.

I will post a few pics once I firgure out how on this forum. I belong to a few other forums and am hoping it is the same procedure.

SafeAirOne
12-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the invite to Springfield. Not sure if you mean ME or MA although it probably doesn't matter as they are both a long way from Scarborough especially in the Rover.

You think THOSE are far, wait till you realize he's talking about Springfield, VIRGINIA!

spf720
12-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Well that is actually close by Fredericksburg! I guess I can make that trip even in the Rover. I have only been in VA about a year and still think in NE terms.

Barles-Charkley2
12-24-2014, 08:34 PM
I too, am new here. Greetings from NoVa! My dad bought an old series III X-Mod a couple years back and we're working on it and whatnot together. Just finished a carburetor rebuild because it was dirty as anything.

stomper
12-25-2014, 06:30 AM
I'm up the road from you in Hallowell Maine. Let me know if you ever want to go exploring, 2 vehicles are always better than one.

The Downeast Land Rover Club here in Maine is planning a few trips in the next year, and the Maine Winter Romp is scheduled in February up on Benton Maine. You don't want to miss that.

o2batsea
12-25-2014, 06:30 AM
Meetup at Kilroy's (http://www.kilroys.com/) every third Thursday. Park behind the shopping center along the back of the lot. We hang out in the tent so that Rick and Gustavo can stink the place up with their cigs.
While unusual, we had about 30 people last time. Even Pedro showed up. Normal head count is about half that.
You do not have to have a truck with you to join us. Just bring the love and enough money for a pitcher.
Food is not bad and they have a seafood bar with crab legs, lobsters, shrimp, oysters, clams....

Highly recommended for keeping tabs on the "scene" and as a huge resource of expertise and parts.

Les Parker
12-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Welcome to the Forum. Let us know if there is anything we can assist with. Most folks are very understanding and a lot of info is freely available through the site/forums.

Rover on !

siii8873
12-30-2014, 03:41 PM
great truck, make sure the antifreeze is up to a northern mix, heard of a horror story of a truck brought to a freezing climate from central America.

spf720
12-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I have been told that antifreeze has been added although I will be sure to check it. The Rover will probably stay in VA and in a garage until I get some heat and defroster working. I am from Maine so it is still hard for me to think of VA as getting cold although heat is needed. Right now it is sitting in a container in Southern FL waiting to clear customs. It came here with a nice older Range Rover they need to sell. I am going to try and attach a few pics of when we tried it out in Guatemala.