PDA

View Full Version : series III stage 1 v-8, looking to upgrade alt, dist, springs any good suggestions?

gobie desert
06-28-2007, 02:24 PM
hey ya all, i am hoping someone can help me out. i have a series III stage 1 v-8 1981. i want to upgrade my alternator and distributor. is there a pertronix unit avail for this application? also how can i get more charging juice out of my alt? is there a bigger amp alt avail for this? right now my radio will not run unless rpms are up, so i suspect i need more amps...or could it be something else?:confused:

also parabolics? which ones are good which ones aren't? i see a lot of different brands out there, i am def getting some but which ones?

thanks for any advice, keep those rovers on the road.
-hawk

Terrys
06-28-2007, 03:50 PM
The original 3.5 was swaped out to a 3.9 prior to getting our stage one, but they kept the original front cover in order to maintain the correct fan to radiator orientation, so that, in itself doesn't matter. What does is they used the distributor (35whatever) from the 3.9, using the amplifier and reluctor/pickup coil, which essentially does the same thing as the Petronix ign.
As for the alternator, you shouldn't have any trouble replacing yours (85 amp I think, but maybe only 65) with a Magnetti Morelli, or Bosch 100amp. If you're refering to a regular car radio, they draw so little, you may have something else going on. If you mean a ham radio, i.e. HF 100watt, then the alternator upgrade is a must.

gobie desert
06-28-2007, 05:20 PM
ahhh, so your saying i should get a distributor from a 3.9 along with the amplifier and pickup coil. can i source these new or only used? if new what year do i need? alternator...would you know a part number or application, or do i just ask the nice parts people for a alt for a land rover bosch unit 100 amp. yeah my regular radio will not work when idling but when i get moving it comes on. i suspected something else as well...but what? i have had a few rovers (d-90, grey market diesel 110) but this is my first serious series. so all info and help would be soooo greatly appreciated. thanks.

Terrys
06-29-2007, 05:05 AM
You don't need to go getting a new distributor. They are plentiful with the used parts guys, and VERY expensive new. Try Paul Grant, I'm sure he can help you out.
After I posted about the changes to the front cover, it was bugging me. Something wasn't setting right in my feeble old brain, so I ran down to the barn to look.
This 3.9 has a serpentine belt, and now I remember getting a '97 D90 fan shrowd and cutting the bottom to fit, so now, the fan is centralized with rad. I didn't look to see which alternator is on it, but suspect it's the same one on post '96 Discos, and '97 D90 (as well as '95 LWB RR) which won't work for you. As I recall, the original 3.5 in the stage one had the alt over on the right side, so if you could find one for a Vbelt '87-94 3.5, 3.9 or 4.2, and then take the three bolts out of it that hold the case together, and rotate the rear half of the case 120 degrees, you will now have one that works for your engine. I don't know if I've helped you or confused you.

siiirhd88
06-29-2007, 07:17 AM
Pertronics makes an electronic ignition pack for the Rover distributor:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/classicgarage_1956_71673853 (http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/classicgarage_1951_2099844)http://us.st1.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/Img/trans_1x1.gifhttp://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/classicgarage_1956_71685939

For Rover V8.

Lucas Model #: 36DLM8

We use the Mallory Unilite distributor in our two V8 Series. The Unilite usees a photocell to fire the coil. They can be pricey, but have proved trouble free in several years of use. For the Rover application, the distributor comes without the drive gear. You will need to reuse your old drive gear, after drilling the Unilite shaft for the roll pin.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/maa-4768901_w.jpg

We have adapted the Delco alternator for use on the V8 Series. I know they have been adapted for use on Range Rovers.

We have RN parabolics on our V8 SIIA 109. 3 leafs on the rear and two leafs up front. No concerns about them at this time.

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'66 SIIA 109 V8
'6? SIIA 109

greenmeanie
06-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Hawk,
Before you do anything too expensive with the alternator I would do some system checks to determine if it is charging properly. With the engine running at about 2000rpm check for about 14.5V across the battery. If you are getting less it probably means that one of the diodes has shorted.

You don't say what type of alternator you have. If it is one of the old Lucas 16ACR you will probably find that 34Amps is just not up to the job.

IIRC the Stage 1 is quite similar in set up to my 101. In that case the easy thing to do is put on an AC Delco 10SI which will give you 63 Amps or more based on which one you get. It's an easy conversion and the unit is a 3 wire which means you can put the sense wire in on the starter common point. The unit will then provise plenty of Amps as you need 'em, can be picked up anywhere, is cheap and can come with a good warranty.

For parabolics I can only recommend the Rocky Mountain units. With the ProComp shocks the ride is great on my SIIA 88. I have had them on for about 6 years and never had any issues.

Cheers
Gregor

gobie desert
06-29-2007, 12:34 PM
thanks for all the great info.
so here's what i am planning...
i will go for the simple pertronix upgrade (assuming my dist. is the right one for that) then get the ac delco unit. gregor i may have a few more dumb questions for you once i get unit, for the correct wiring. will this bolt right up into the brackets and all?
then i will do the rocky mountain springs, any suggestions on where to get them on the west coast? (i am in northen california, sf bay area)

parabolic springs... an easy swap or should i take into shop? i am very experienced with american muscle cars. i have restored a few mustangs and various other late 60's autos. i've done axle swaps and all that but i have not yet gotten too greasy from a land rover. it is a very large underside.

thanks again
keep those rovers on the road.
-hawk