PDA

View Full Version : Hello form a new "old" owner

MikeCT 70
01-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Greetings All,

I finally did it! I adopted an 1970 Series IIa 88'. I'm excited about it and hope when I have questions they can be answered here.

I've been a life-long fan of the Land Rover and still have my toy 109' from the "Daktari" era. My depth of knowledge is not very deep on all the mechanics of these, but have spent plenty of time under hoods and look forward to keeping this beauty in a safe and usable manner. Currently it is running and drivable though I know there are some things to be addressed. Engine rebuild is on the top of my list(reading the "Green Bible" at the moment). Everything else is mostly for comfort or cosmetics.

I'll post pics when I can, It was from Mountain123 on the forum.

Cheers!

LaneRover
01-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Welcome! I also have my Daktari Rover that my grandmother bought me from G. Fox and company in Hartford!

Les Parker
01-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the BBS. Let us know if you need guidance/advice. Some pix when you can, please.

jac04
01-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Hi Mike! I'm over in East Granby, and have some relatives in Colchester.
Let me know if you need any help.

rwollschlager
01-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Welcome Mike!
There are some series Rover people in the Colchester/Lebanon area that I'm sure you'll bump into sooner or later. If you're interested, occasionally I put together CT based Rover meet ups and outings, if you're on Facebook check CT Land Rover Owners, all of the outings are coordinated through there. Best of luck with the new truck!
-Rob

Edit: it looks like you bought a very well sorted truck! Why do you want/need to rebuild the engine already?

cedryck
01-08-2015, 11:38 AM
If the engine is sound, (ie; compression testing reveals an acceptable value of psi, and assuming the head/valves are OK.) just change the oil, tune-up, plugs, points/condenser, and ignition time it. jmho,,cheers,

jac04
01-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Why do you want/need to rebuild the engine already?
He's most likely used to a vehicle that actually accelerates when you press the skinny pedal.

cedryck
01-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Good one jac 04, the opposite effect, some one asked me "how are the brakes on your rover?:" I had just renewed shoes, and adjusted them so they were good but my candid response was, "brakes, no need, just take your foot off of the skinny pedal, truck sinks like a stone",,

MikeCT 70
01-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely check the FaceBook page out, I'm looking forward to meeting folks with this addiction.

As for the engine, I think the top end needs a look over. Perhaps if I can have someone who has more experience with these could check it out,I'd be more confident with reliability. A spring clean up will help to see what might need more attention.

I've also noticed the rear leaf springs are on backwards, which has the rear axle 2" forward. Easy fix. To cold this week though.

I'll keep you posted, maybe somebody will see me roll by in town soon. If they can catch me, say "Hi"

jac04
01-12-2015, 08:45 AM
As for the engine, I think the top end needs a look over.
I have a complete 8:1 head if you need it. Leftover from my Lightweight rebuild when I went with a complete Turner long block. I have receipts from the PO showing all the work done. If you need it, let me know.

tolonian
01-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Sorry, What do you mean re the rear leaf springs being on backwards?
All looks the same to me..

MikeCT 70
01-17-2015, 08:58 PM
The parabolic rear leafs are not equidistant from mount to center pin. There is a "long" side and "short"side. At least when I measured the set that is on there, there is an 1 1/2" difference. Rotating them 180 will move the rear axle back about 2" and put it into better position in the wheel well.

rwollschlager
01-17-2015, 11:45 PM
The parabolic rear leafs are not equidistant from mount to center pin. There is a "long" side and "short"side. At least when I measured the set that is on there, there is an 1 1/2" difference. Rotating them 180 will move the rear axle back about 2" and put it into better position in the wheel well.

I would call our hosts and really double check this. The few times I have installed springs I do not recall anything about having a forward/rear aspect of a rear spring. It is possible your axle is no longer centered on the center pin, but the vehicle would noticeably lurch when braking or accelerating.

Rocky Mountain is another parabolic suspension vendor and they mention no such thing about a long/short side http://parabolicsprings.com/parabolicsprings.html

parksy
01-18-2015, 05:00 AM
Sound like the locating pin has sheared off and the axle is sitting askew on the spring, either way they need taking off to replace the pin with a bolt to locate them properly; you might get away with undoing the U bolts and splitting the spring and axles and get enough room to work in place (just make sure everything is well held/chocked to noting moves).

MikeCT 70
01-23-2015, 06:53 PM
I will double check the pin and the measurements. Thanks for the information. I'll also dig through the book of receipts I got when I purchased the truck, it should tell me what brand springs where installed.