PDA

View Full Version : 1972 SIII upgrades?

sleam
01-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Hey folks, I have a 72 that's had tons of work done over the last couple of years, rebuilt engine, cooling system, clutch system, has good brakes etc but I rarely drive it as it's hard on me. I know, I know! But since I can't seem to let it go to a better home, what would you do to make it easier on a 47 yr old landscapers knees?? The shocks and springs seem good, no sagging, but maybe if I put a RTT I'd need to upgrade.
- how hard is it to soundproof?
- is there anything to do to make changing gears easier/ softer?
- steering options?
It seems that if i start any changes to power this and that, I might as well sell and get something new, right? But I don't want to! Well, not really despite my friends advice to get a Class B motorhome since I travel with three dogs and take long road trips (ideally).
So I'm asking, what would you do? Throw out as many suggestions as possible with any extra consequences of such changes, what do I need to know? What kind of money are we talking here? Play nicely though, okay? Thanks!

stomper
01-12-2015, 06:51 AM
If it were me, and I was faced with this situation, I would do the following:

1: Get a front rubber matting system. while expensive, this is the easiest way to sound deaden the interior.

2: Look at rhino lining the rear of the truck. With the dogs, this is extra nice as it can be hosed out and it is super durable.

3: Swap out the tires to a narrower 215 width. this will lighten the steering without major modifications.

4: Good parabolic springs, or a well oiled and sorted set of stock springs will make the ride significantly improved.

5: Defender seats, or something more comfortable than the stock set-up.

6: Leg Squats! Lots of them to get those quadriceps, hamstrings and gluteal muscles in shape. Throw in some upper body exercises as well, and the steering will get lighter, and the knees will feel better after a 4 hour drive.

LaneRover
01-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Is it the clutch and brakes that are hard on the knees? Or the position of the seat and how your legs are bent?

Some folks have also been cutting a horse stall matt to size for the back of their Rovers, this helps road noise as well as maybe being a bit better for the pooches. Years ago I was introduced to using truck mudflaps as 'inner wing liners' which helps reduce road noise a bit too.

Would a receiver hitch and a load carrier that attaches to the hitch help keep loads out of the Rover also not require you to climb up to the roof rack?

sleam
01-12-2015, 09:20 AM
Thanks, all good ideas and I'll look into the matts and linings. It's mostly the position of the knees, too sharp a bend for long distances on the gas. On a good note, since i live in the middle of nowhere, it's long distances but little changing gears. What about overdrive would that help too?

LaneRover
01-12-2015, 09:42 AM
An overdrive can help - but you still need to press the gas pedal.

Have you thought about adding a hand throttle?

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=90607683&type=0

Sorry there isn't a picture but it basically lets you set the throttle to a position and have it stay there. You do need to remember to re-set to 'zero' it if you push the clutch in. Basically it is the equivalent of putting an adjustable brick on your gas pedal.

LaneRover
01-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Here is an article about someone refurbishing theirs.

http://mud4fun.com/2013/07/21/hand-throttle-assembly-refurbishment/

bugeye88
01-12-2015, 10:17 AM
If you plan on any travel @ 55+MPH, defiantly get an overdrive! Check our "Rovers Down South" George will help you.

Cheers,

Rob
Bugeye88

jac04
01-12-2015, 11:16 AM
..what would you do to make it easier on a 47 yr old landscapers knees?? ... I might as well sell and get something new, right? ... So I'm asking, what would you do? ...
I'll preface this by saying I have really enjoyed my Series Land Rovers over the years, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss owning a Rover just a little, but...

I'm 46. I've restored 3 Series vehicles over the past 25 years . My back hurts. My knees hurt. Sometimes my neck hurts. I was ready to stop working on vehicles and actually go have some fun with them. My original plan was to buy a 97 D90 (automatic transmission). After looking for a while, I ended up ordering a new 2014 Rubicon X (now called the Hard Rock). Automatic transmission, 2-door, premium soft top, locking diffs F&R, electronic sway bar disconnect, rock sliders, steel bumpers, heated leather seats, nav & 20 gig hard drive w/ 6.5" touch screen, etc. I absolutely love it so far. It cruises nicely on the highway, and is incredible off-road. Aftermarket support is awesome, with excellent price & availability for almost anything you want.

Go check one out. Looks like a 4-door would suit you well for the long trips w/ dogs.

sleam
01-12-2015, 11:20 AM
I'll preface this by saying I have really enjoyed my Series Land Rovers over the years, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss owning a Rover just a little, but...

I'm 46. I've restored 3 Series vehicles over the past 25 years . My back hurts. My knees hurt. Sometimes my neck hurts. I was ready to stop working on vehicles and actually go have some fun with them. My original plan was to buy a 97 D90 (automatic transmission). After looking for a while, I ended up ordering a new 2014 Rubicon X (now called the Hard Rock). Automatic transmission, 2-door, premium soft top, locking diffs F&R, electronic sway bar disconnect, rock sliders, steel bumpers, heated leather seats, nav & 20 gig hard drive w/ 6.5" touch screen, etc. I absolutely love it so far. It cruises nicely on the highway, and is incredible off-road. Aftermarket support is awesome, with excellent price & availability for almost anything you want.

Go check one out. Looks like a 4-door would suit you well for the long trips w/ dogs.

I know! I know! I have a automatic 4Runner 4x4 that i drive mostly. That's kind of what made me think I should just sell the rover but the other rover friends of mine (online though, no one near me!) all suggested to upgrade and keep it. I'm back and forth. Maybe I'll just commit for another year and then decide? Sheesh, it's hard! Thanks for the ideas though...

jac04
01-12-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm back and forth. ... Sheesh, it's hard!

That's for sure! When I sold my Lightweight, my kids were crying as it was loaded into the enclosed trailer for its trip to Minnesota. However, we get way more use out of the Rubicon and they got over it pretty quick. Seat belts for 4 people, air bags, a decent heater, air conditioning, and the kids can still climb all over it without hurting it. Heck, my wife even goes places in it!!

Don't get me wrong, a D90 would be awesome, but I just can't see me bashing through the woods with it like the Rubicon. I also can't see me NOT owning another land Rover at some point.

sleam
01-12-2015, 11:36 AM
Heater would be nice! Oh, and working wipers. A hot water bottle on the lap works for a while though and it's NM - it doesnt rain!

Escargo
01-12-2015, 01:04 PM
If my right leg starts to cramp, which it can on a long stretch, I often switch legs and put my left foot on the gas for abit. I have only a 30" inseam but would like more legroom also. Although I have used the hand throttle on occasion.

bugeye88
01-12-2015, 02:24 PM
sleam,

As far as modern Jeeps and Series Landy's....
Two completely different vehicles and driving experiences. I would say few of us own Series Landy's because they are practicle every day vehicles or have all the modern bells and whistles. They do have a mechanical/tactile experience missing in modern trucks. It's kind of the point I think. I'm 64 and have a 2012 Rubicon, and they are indeed a marvelous machine for transportation and off road. It is not as involving and fun from many standpoints as my Series 2a Bugeye though. I can also work on it without a computer or special tools. I sold the Series 2a once and bought it back a few years later, as I just plain missed it. So sleam , it depends what you really are looking for as far as an on and off road vehicle practicality or a vintage vehicle experience. Either route, enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
Rob
Bugeye88

sleam
01-12-2015, 04:22 PM
sleam,

As far as modern Jeeps and Series Landy's....
Two completely different vehicles and driving experiences. I would say few of us own Series Landy's because they are practicle every day vehicles or have all the modern bells and whistles. They do have a mechanical/tactile experience missing in modern trucks. It's kind of the point I think. I'm 64 and have a 2012 Rubicon, and they are indeed a marvelous machine for transportation and off road. It is not as involving and fun from many standpoints as my Series 2a Bugeye though. I can also work on it without a computer or special tools. I sold the Series 2a once and bought it back a few years later, as I just plain missed it. So sleam , it depends what you really are looking for as far as an on and off road vehicle practicality or a vintage vehicle experience. Either route, enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
Rob
Bugeye88

Thanks Rob, You're right, they are two different driving experiences. I like the variety to be honest. I mostly commute on my DR650 bike to work - but now it's too cold. The 4Runner I bought last year has become the camper, good to take dogs, tent etc out into the mountains of Colorado and New Mexico. I just feel like I neglect poor Shorty, but maybe I'll just do a few things to make it slightly easier on me and use it to visit friends in town, get coffee. I think it'd help if i had a few other Series owners around, more of a community? Writing on here helps for a bigger perspective though. Thanks again, Sleam

johnny2rovers
01-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Sleam:

From the picture you posted with you and your dogs, you seem to have been born to own a Series. I suspect it suits your personality and your lifestyle. I own four Land Rovers and a Jag, but my '65 SIIA, now 50, is my favorite, however it is a difficult choice between it and my FC101. My Jag was built for speed; my SIIA was built for Saturdays.

Use it for what it is, a slow, noisy, refreshing escape from the vehicles of today. Use it to slow down on a Saturday! Enjoy the conversations with strangers who wish they owned one. My girlfriend and her border collie love it! It is their choice for a trek to the mountains.

Don't sell it, I think it suits you.........

chuckstp
01-12-2015, 06:39 PM
I have a similar problem with the leg position and clearly expect the same issue if I ever drive my IIA (which isn't running yet) any distance. One thing I expect to play with when I get that far is to get a thinner back cushion for the seat and possibly a thicker one for seat itself. I have a small boat and even though it has no foot controls, I find it much more comfortable to sit upon a life-jacket or other seat cushion when I am driving it. If I don't, my hamstrings tend to cramp up on me after any time sitting unless I am able to stretch my legs.

LaneRover
01-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Anyone who has read the best book ever written - "Go, Dog, Go" will know that dogs can drive . . .

sleam
01-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Sleam:

From the picture you posted with you and your dogs, you seem to have been born to own a Series. I suspect it suits your personality and your lifestyle. I own four Land Rovers and a Jag, but my '65 SIIA, now 50, is my favorite, however it is a difficult choice between it and my FC101. My Jag was built for speed; my SIIA was built for Saturdays.

Use it for what it is, a slow, noisy, refreshing escape from the vehicles of today. Use it to slow down on a Saturday! Enjoy the conversations with strangers who wish they owned one. My girlfriend and her border collie love it! It is their choice for a trek to the mountains.

Don't sell it, I think it suits you.........

Thanks for that!
Solution focused that I am - here is a photo of me working with the sound insulation. A pair of construction grade earmuffs. Working with the cold, a hat, thick coat, gloves and fleece lined jeans. To work with my fear of breaking down with three dogs (Like I did on a main highway in Colorado in summer), take just one dog. The knees, roll up a sweatshirt and prop it under my thighs to hold legs in position. I'm working on it as you can tell.
Thanks everyone for reminding me why I drive Shorty!

sleam
01-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Anyone who has read the best book ever written - "Go, Dog, Go" will know that dogs can drive . . .

Never heard of it but I'll look! And for those of you who like to read, I happen to be a novelist and most of my books feature roadtrips in the Southwest! A new one just came out last week, look online on Amazon for Sarah Leamy!

ANd Chuckstp - I think I'll try a thinner back cushion tomorrow and see how that helps, great idea.

bugeye88
01-12-2015, 10:04 PM
Sleam,

You've got the idea! Just keep the idea of how great and rare these vehicles are, and keep innovating. You will alway appreciate the pure experience of a Landy, and so will the Pups. I'm 6' 1" and still manage to fit OK. I also collect vintage cars and modern Porsches, so I guess I'm a bit hard to pin down on what I love the most, other than to say I just love cars and Trucks. My 68 Bugeye holds a special place in my heart for sure! The people on these pages with the same inclination will always be here to help and support... Keep the faith!

Cheers,

Rob
Bugeye88

darbsclt
01-13-2015, 08:16 AM
Hi Sarah,

I can echo much of what others have said (and you have said yourself) about the unique character of these vehicles. While many owners rely on their Series Land Rovers daily, my Gracie isn't my "daily driver." Instead, she is an errand runner... a picnic in the park... a load the dogs up for a run (or visit to the vet) vehicle. She is my "make me smile" vehicle. As such... I'd hate to let her go. Here are some suggestions to help you smile more with Shorty.

Isolation...
- You might consider joining the Birmabright Brotherhood HERE (http://birmabrightbrotherhood.com). It's free... and might help you overcome your "Landy Loneliness." I've only met one other Series owner in Charlotte... so I understand your feeling of isolation.
- You may also look for British/MG/Triumph car clubs in your area. For example: HERE (http://www.bmc-snm.org), and HERE (http://www.nmia.com/~bsavage/baoa/). Often times, they will adopt other orphaned marques into their fold.
- Finally, you might check out the "Guns & Rovers" forum, HERE (http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/forum.php).
It's seems to be one of the most active/helpful domestic forums for Series owners I've found.

Comfort...
- Sound/Vibration... Dynamat (http://www.dynamat.com), SecondSkin (http://store.secondskinaudio.com), etc... not cheap, but relatively easy to apply and can really help dampen the noise. Areas to consider... under hood, inside doors/floor/footwell/bulkhead, seatbox/rear bulkhead, tub floor. You can mix/match/layer products... I've also used a dense Closed Cell Foam (CCF) pad on the tub floor... as well as a heat barrier on the under side of the hood.
- Driving position... I know plenty of folks who switched over to Defender seats, HERE (http://www.roversnorth.com/Land-Rover-Parts/1134). If you prefer keeping things original, I've been told that simply adding Seat Risers HERE (http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=EXT010-5LH&type=0), can be a BIG help (sort of like sitting on a phonebook).
- Tires... I second the "Skinny Tire" recommendation found in an earlier post. Investing in a set of 7.5 x 16 tires was the best thing I did for Gracie thus far. I love everything about them (except the cost), HERE (http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MICHXZL&type=0)
- Parabolics... Again, I don't have experience with THESE (http://www.parabolicsprings.com/products.html)... but I hear they are wonderful.

Reliability...
- No brilliant words of wisdom here but a cliche from Ben Franklin seems apt "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"... learn to (or have a trusted mechanic) keep up with all the required maintenance. Like an airline pilot... I always conduct a brief "pre-flight" check before leaving home (mostly to check fluid levels and for unexpected leaks... hub seals/brakes/master-slave cylinders... I also ALWAYS check the feel of the brakes prior to pulling out of the drive.

Best of luck!

LaneRover
01-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Never heard of it but I'll look! And for those of you who like to read, I happen to be a novelist and most of my books feature roadtrips in the Southwest! A new one just came out last week, look online on Amazon for Sarah Leamy!

ANd Chuckstp - I think I'll try a thinner back cushion tomorrow and see how that helps, great idea.

It was my favorite book as a child and bought one for my daughter soon after she was born :-) Right now its the only book she says the title of!

I'll give a look for your books - loved taking road trips when I lived in San Diego.

o2batsea
01-13-2015, 01:44 PM
After thoroughly dynamatting and adding sound deadening mats to my truck the results are...well...not much difference.
Dynamat in roof, doors, floors. Full bonnet dynamat and hood liner. The diesel overwhelms it all.

Carry your AAA Super Triple Diamond Level 20 Executive Class Unlimited card with you.

I can't speak to making gear changes easier since you already have the full synchro gearbox. You skipped right past the whole double declutching thing...
As for steering, it's possible to add power steering, using what's more or less all Rover parts. It requires some custom fabrication but it's not that complicated a thing. It makes the truck way more livable. It does away with the kooky push-pull longitudinal arm business and the chassis mounted bell crank madness.
Heat improvement is a snap. Call up RN and ask for them to send you one of those nifty Mt Mansfield heaters. Fits right up to your vehicle no problem and can cook a whole turkey as you drive.

If you are in NewMex, you are fortunate to be in proximity to one of the best Land Rover people on the planet; Rob Dassler (http://swrautomotive.net/).
A trip to his digs should be on your bucket list to discuss all these concerns of yours. He can do all that stuff and it will be done right!

You should also pay a visit to TeriAnn Wakeman's Expedition Land Rover (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/) pages.

Lastly, you are probably a candidate for an updated version of what you are driving now. That is, a Defender. They don't have to cost 40 large. They can be had for way way less if you are willing to do your own digging around and think outside the box so to speak. Case in point, my friend found one on ebay UK for about $3000, flew over and drove it to the dock. Cost him about 1500 to get it to Baltimore. Another couple hundred to get it thru inspection and registration and now he has a beautiful well sorted 90 to drive around. You just gotta know what to look for. There are also tons of them in Costa Rica, Honduras, etc.

sleam
01-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Lastly, you are probably a candidate for an updated version of what you are driving now. That is, a Defender. They don't have to cost 40 large. They can be had for way way less if you are willing to do your own digging around and think outside the box so to speak. Case in point, my friend found one on ebay UK for about $3000, flew over and drove it to the dock. Cost him about 1500 to get it to Baltimore. Another couple hundred to get it thru inspection and registration and now he has a beautiful well sorted 90 to drive around. You just gotta know what to look for. There are also tons of them in Costa Rica, Honduras, etc.

Trying to get my brother in the UK to give me his Defender but I think i have to wait a few years! Let him fix it up even more as he uses it as a daily driver, about 10 miles a day, so not too much, diesel, LWB, rack etc...I'll remind him that I turn 50 in a couple of years! A great present from a big brother, right?

cedryck
01-13-2015, 02:58 PM
Love reading some of the replies here, I love series trucks because they are slow, loud, and require attention.

sleam
01-13-2015, 03:18 PM
Yeah, i have to say I love all the feedback. I've checked out the local groups suggested above and should hear back from them at some point. Good idea to contact other Brit car groups,not just Rovers. (Darbsclt = thanks!)
I have skinny tires so that's good.
I took out the back cushion and am using a cushion which gave me about an extra 4" leg room so my knees aren't as bent, more relaxed. A temp solution but it works for now!
Thanks everyone - this is great!

o2batsea
01-13-2015, 03:47 PM
One thing that does help is what they call in the upper crusty world of the horsey set a "stall mat". You get this at a place that caters to nags (horses) or your friendly Tractor Supply. It's more or less a 1/2 inch thick sheet of recycled rubber. Cut it to fit your rear load space, and buy a second one to make front mats with. The remainder you can use as a welcome mat that will never wear out.

In the meantime while you wait for Brother this is awfully tempting, no?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58960

I'd offer 17,500 and see where that got me.

sleam
01-13-2015, 06:14 PM
One thing that does help is what they call in the upper crusty world of the horsey set a "stall mat". You get this at a place that caters to nags (horses) or your friendly Tractor Supply. It's more or less a 1/2 inch thick sheet of recycled rubber. Cut it to fit your rear load space, and buy a second one to make front mats with. The remainder you can use as a welcome mat that will never wear out.

In the meantime while you wait for Brother this is awfully tempting, no?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58960

I'd offer 17,500 and see where that got me.

Well, want to buy it for me?! In the meantime, I'll check out the stall mat at the local Tractor supply in Santa Fe. Thanks!

Jim-ME
01-14-2015, 05:36 AM
Horse stall mats work very well as Bill stated. They are for less expensive than the acoustic mats that are sold for Series trucks.
Jim

sleam
01-15-2015, 09:33 PM
Hey Thom, in NM, you need to start telling us your ideas too since you have a 72! There's someone in Cedar Crest with the same year and he's going to come up in Feb for the Saturday Social at the Shaft. Feb 28th. Come on, spread the wealth since you've had yours for 15 yrs or so now...thanks

TravelinLight
01-16-2015, 10:41 AM
Horse stall mats work very well as Bill stated. They are for less expensive than the acoustic mats that are sold for Series trucks.
Jim

The only problem with the one I bought and cut for my 88 was the smell. It took maybe a year not to have the strong petroleum smell to it from the manufacturing process. Nothing ever damaged it though. Engine blocks, dogs claws, spills, or anything.

I'll second the GnR board as well since there are a lot of members from CO which is not too far away.

jac04
01-16-2015, 05:09 PM
The only problem with the one I bought and cut for my 88 was the smell.
2 problems that I have had; 1) the smell, and 2) they will turn stuff black (like your hands & knees if you crawl on them).

Jim-ME
01-17-2015, 04:09 AM
I must have gotten lucky as I did not experience any smell or the mat turning stuff black problems.
Jim

stomper
01-17-2015, 06:24 AM
I used a couple of coats of mop and glow floor wax on mine. It pretty much resolves the black transfer issue when it is new. The off gassing issue never seemed to be a problem unless the truck was cooking in the sun for a long time. It vents off quickly with all the air leaks in the vehicle.

jac04
01-20-2015, 07:35 AM
I used a couple of coats of mop and glow floor wax on mine.
Interesting. I may have to try this, since I use this matting in strategic places around the kid's playscape.

stomper
01-20-2015, 12:04 PM
I learned this trick from a state trooper. they use it on the vynyl floors in the back of the cruisers, so that they clean easier, and the smell of vomit doesn't linger after. :thumb-up:

clearcut
01-20-2015, 07:17 PM

I used the Exmoor floor mat material I also put new material on the bench seat.. It the bar on the seat pointed in the right direction.. When turning down the seat seat, it run into the seat belt posts

thanks

josh