PDA

View Full Version : New member with a IIA restoration and some timing questions

tater134
01-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone! I'm in the midst of doing a full restoration on a 1966 Series IIA 88 with a 2.25 petrol engine. To make a long story short this Land Rover was given to a friend of mines father roughly 14 years ago as a beater truck to use on his property. When my friend and I were 12-13 years old we used to have a blast taking the rover out on the farm roads and driving it back into the fields to go sledding in the winter. One day the battery died and there it sat until roughly a year ago when I purchased it from my friends father and decided to try to do something with it. Here are a few photos of it after we drug it out of the woods.105001050110502 When I pulled the rover out of the hedge row it had been sitting in for 13 years I found that the engine had seized due to corrosion on the pistons so I did a full teardown and rebuilt the engine with new pistons and bearings. I'm at the point where I have the engine almost back together but the timing has me stumped.

According to the Haynes book I've been using I was supposed to have rotated the crankshaft to line up the timing marks on the flywheel with the pointer mounted in the flywheel housing and then scribe a mark on the camshaft sprocket to use during reassembly. Unfortunately because my engine was seized I was unable to do this and because the sprocket is unmarked I have no idea where the cam is supposed to be positioned.

Right now I have the engine set up with the flywheel and housing attached to line up the marks and I also have the head, pushrods, and rockers all dry fit so I can see what the valves are doing. I don't want to do anything else until I make sure I have the timing correct because the last thing I want to do is have to tear apart the engine again when its painted up and in the vehicle.

This is my first time doing anything like this so please bear with me and forgive me if I'm using the incorrect terminology for anything. I decided to dive into this and I'm basically learning as I go. Any help the forum members can provide would be greatly appreciated!