PDA

View Full Version : New Master Cylinder

Jim-ME
06-28-2007, 06:01 PM
My MC and brake booster died. I have replacements. The lines running into the MC are so rusted that they can't be saved. Does it make a difference if the front brakes are attached to the front or back of the MC or should I attach the front brake line to the front hole in the MC and the rear brake line to the rear hole in the MC? Thanks in advance,
Jim

Jim-ME
06-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Spent a lot of time cruising the internet and found the answer to my own question. The front lines attach to the front of the MC and the rear lines attach to the rear of the MC. I'm installing a 109 MC in my 88. I'll let you know if that was a wise move of not.
Jim

LH Drive
06-30-2007, 12:40 PM
I have a dual brake master cylinder on my 72 Series III 88 SW that was shot so I replaced with a new one from RN # PLC454 about $230.00
Mine had the front line going to the rear brakes and the back side of the reservoir ( brake booster side) goint to my front brakes. I kept it the same and they work just fine.

TeriAnn
07-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Spent a lot of time cruising the internet and found the answer to my own question. The front lines attach to the front of the MC and the rear lines attach to the rear of the MC. I'm installing a 109 MC in my 88. I'll let you know if that was a wise move of not.
Jim

Not wise plan :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You don't need to spend a lot of time searching the net. I have a web page on converting from single circuit master cylinder to a dual circuit system.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/dual_brake_conv.htm

Front circuit to front brakes is correct ONLY FOR 88 BRAKES AND MASTER.

109 master cylinders are plumbed the oposite. An 88 only has one wheel cylinder per brake drum. 109s have dual cylinders at each front corner and a single cylinder at each rear corner. THe 109 master cylinder is designed to pump more volume to the front circuit. Your stated plumbing plan would put the high volume circuit on your rear brakes.

Please do yourself a favour and read my web page.

Jim-ME
07-01-2007, 03:23 PM
TeriAnn,
Thank you for your reply. I will plumb it as explained in your website.
Jim