PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a wiper motor

sleam
01-18-2015, 07:30 PM
How do I take off the wiper motor to replace with a new one? (1972 SIII). There is the motor but I don't know how to remove the metal cord (?) that goes to the actual wipers, and yes, i know I don't have the right words but my brain is farting out on me. Thanks!

SafeAirOne
01-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Looks like you've got to remove the wiper arms (so the wiper spindles can spin all the way around), and pull the inner cable out along with the motor assembly during removal:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7491/16313039281_a8b7c4d1b5_b.jpg

SafeAirOne
01-18-2015, 10:40 PM
To swap the cable off the old motor to the new one, you'll have to remove the cover on the back of the drive housing (well, the "front", really). Here's the motor overhaul instructions:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7464/15695033073_6d0f365ca7_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8672/15695032973_ddab6abcdb_b.jpg

SafeAirOne
01-18-2015, 10:47 PM
PS: 60 to 70 rev/min? What dreamers! Maybe 45. ;)

sleam
01-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Oh sheesh, I thought it'd be easy!

SafeAirOne
01-19-2015, 08:39 AM
I was thinking just the opposite--If I had known it was this easy, I would have removed it and cleaned/lubed my cable a long time ago. I thought you had to take off the upper dash and remove the wiper spindle wheelboxes also, which would have been a HUGE PITA.

As it is, you just pull the wiper arms off and yank the cable through.

darbsclt
01-19-2015, 09:25 AM
There's always... :rolleyes:

SafeAirOne
01-19-2015, 10:05 AM
There's always... :rolleyes:

Ha. I should; I never remember to order wiper blades when I order other parts and since NOBODY local stocks 11" wiper blades, I've been using the same pair for...11 years now.

TedW
01-19-2015, 11:17 AM
My 1970 IIA has the same setup - I took the whole thing apart, cleaned / lubed all the bits, and reassembled. Very simple operation, and I am certainly no master mechanic.

By the way: The Rain-X option is no joke - Rover windscreens seem to be just the right shape for it. I put that stuff on one morning before heading off to the British Invasion in Stowe VT. We got caught in a downpour crossing the White Mountains in NH, and I didn't even need to turn my wipers on - the water just blew right off. Now I use it before any trip.

sleam
01-19-2015, 08:45 PM
[By the way: The Rain-X option is no joke - Rover windscreens seem to be just the right shape for it. I put that stuff on one morning before heading off to the British Invasion in Stowe VT. We got caught in a downpour crossing the White Mountains in NH, and I didn't even need to turn my wipers on - the water just blew right off. Now I use it before any trip.[/QUOTE]

The biggest problem here is snow in the winter and this stuff doesn't help with that but yes, for now I'm using the Rain-X too! I should have time later this week to tackle the wiper and we'll take it from there. I'll keep you all posted, thanks.

ignotus
01-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Sleam,

It is not as hard as it looks, the nut(#5 marks first post) holding the cable in place on the top needs to be loose to turn the motor to access the cover plate. In Marks second post you can see right by the #7 to the right is the cable end which goes over the stud on #4. The biggest thing in reassembly is having the #4 in the same position as the wipers otherwise the cable will appear too short/long. You might as well clean out the old grease and put in some new. I used Phil Wood bicycle grease in mine. HTH

IIA
05-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Where'd you find those great diagrams? I don't see them in the Green Bible.
Also, does anyone know a good place to get replacements for the washers? The one under the circlip on mine has a groove worn in it.

siii8873
05-20-2015, 05:49 PM
I was thinking just the opposite--If I had known it was this easy, I would have removed it and cleaned/lubed my cable a long time ago. I thought you had to take off the upper dash and remove the wiper spindle wheelboxes also, which would have been a HUGE PITA.

As it is, you just pull the wiper arms off and yank the cable through.

Mark, SIII set up is much more difficult to get at the boxes due to the dash arrangement. SII's are much easier to get at the parts.

SafeAirOne
05-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Where'd you find those great diagrams? I don't see them in the Green Bible.

If you mean the ones I posted at the beginning of this thread, I just took them right out of the SIII Workshop Manual (NOT the "Haynes" thing!). Electrical section, I think.

Mark, SIII set up is much more difficult to get at the boxes due to the dash arrangement. SII's are much easier to get at the parts.

True, but I don't believe you really have to get at the wheelboxes to remove/reinstall the cable, so long as you remove the wiper arms, if I'm understanding the instructions correctly.