PDA

View Full Version : Series one 80" chassis

Star27buck
01-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Is there a source of Series One 80" chassis repair parts in the US?...plenty in the UK but...
I need the front dumbirons, transmission crossmember and the flywheel crossmember.

westcoastkevin
01-20-2015, 12:22 PM
There is no source in the USA.
Dale Radford would be the one I would buy from in the UK for that stuff.

I made my own from laser cut parts. You are welcome to the drawings if you want them. The steel is cheap for what you need to do.

Star27buck
01-20-2015, 04:08 PM
Thanks Kevin

That's what I assumed and I've sent off a request to Dale for the parts I need. I saw your very impressive thread on the LRSOC forum. The pre-made parts will speed things up but I may wind up fabricating as you did, but without your welding talents. My chassis is in better shape than the one you rebuilt and I have some of the crossmembers albeit from a later car. The dumbirons are salvageable but the front spring hangers are missing....it might be easier to alter the parts from a later series car.

In what format are the drawings?

Tom

leafsprung
01-20-2015, 08:53 PM
I have a number of 80 spares including some 80 inch chassis parts and even a complete chassis or two a few firewalls etc etc I am in Oregon USA

westcoastkevin
01-21-2015, 09:06 AM
I can give you the drawings in about any format you want. DXF is easy for any cutting shop and you can import it into any cad/cam or nesting software.

Having said that, I got a bulkhead from leafsprung and have only good things to say about my dealings with him.

Let me dig around for the drawings and give them to you either way. I would rather that someone could get the benefit of them.
Kevin

Star27buck
01-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Thanks Kevin,

I've always found Ike good to deal with...lots of stuff for the S2.

westcoastkevin
01-28-2015, 04:18 PM
OK, I found the files... What format do you want them in?
Just the dumb Irons and two crossmembers, right?

dkenner
01-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Is the DWG file available? I need some chassis sections rebuilt on my 1950 and have a friend with a table to cut up the necessary pieces that will accept these file types. Thank you,
Dixon

westcoastkevin
01-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Hi Dixon,
What parts do you need. I will see if I can find them. I only drew what I needed but I can pull measurements from my chassis for you..

dkenner
01-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Well, had it up on axle stands and when the pneumatic chisel hit it to take off the remains of an outrigger, the shower of brown stuff that suddenly emerged from the (legitimate, factory made) holes in the frame made it look like it was snowing brown during a London fog of the Fifties. Centre section of the main rails are gone. The gearbox cross member, whilst somewhat solid, has been well and artistically sculpted like liquid metal flowing towards the rear of the vehicle after numerous interactions with good, solid, objects in the past. The shower of rust leads me to believe that essentially replacing most of it in an organised fashion (the area around the engine and centre cross member are well preserved from all of the oil that has leaked out) over time. Possible as a friend has a CNC table to cut the pieces out, saving much effort if we had a pattern.

Star27buck
01-15-2016, 03:32 PM
I am in the process of welding several outriggers, front dumb irons and three new cross members onto my '53 80" chassis. I got the pieces from Dale Radford and they are handsome and well made. The main rails were as you described yours and I cut out everything suspect, took what I guessed to be sound the a sandblaster. I had opened enough, largely from the bottom face, that he could get inside with his gun. I asked him to be merciless and locate any thin areas I had not already discovered...he did. The normally suspect areas at the bump stops were obvious, other areas were not.
With the exception of my questionable welding skills, I'll be confident that the chassis will be sound.