PDA

View Full Version : Series IIA Wheel studs and wolf wheels

awdbandito
01-30-2015, 06:37 AM
I am the new owner of a '68 Series IIA and it has wolf wheels on it. I'm not 100% comfortable with the amount of threads engaged by the lug nuts on the wheels studs so I would like to fit longer wheel studs.

From what little I have found in reading, it looks like I need later and longer wheel studs, which are press in.

Can I remove my hubs, remove the existing thread in studs, drill the openings to the correct size, then press in new studs?

Or do I need to buy later hubs?

Thanks,
J.D.

divingmikeboats
01-30-2015, 10:29 AM
I'd be surprised if you couldn't locate longer studs that would fit existing hub threads. Did you google? Good luck. 68's a nice ride.

SafeAirOne
01-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Do you have the larger studs--the ones with the nuts that take an inch and a sixteenth lug wrench? If so, rest easy--I've been driving my 109 around with NATO steel wheels for...um...11 years now...with the nuts about 3 threads proud of the end of the studs. I've NEVER had any looseness EVER--there are many threads that are fully engaged even though the stud doesn't reach the surface of the nuts.

EDIT: Never mind--I just re-read the OP and see that you have thread-in studs, so they're the smaller ones. Not sure about the older, smaller studs.

awdbandito
01-30-2015, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the input.
I'm pretty sure I have the smaller studs, since they are thread in and not press in.
I have found studs, such as from Zeus Engineering, but they are all press in.
I thought about buying hubs with the larger press in studs, but also thought I could update my hubs to accept the larger press in studs fairly easily.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
J.D. (below are the only pics I took so far.)

Les Parker
01-30-2015, 01:31 PM
Should not be a problem to remove the hub, drill the threads out and press in the longer threads, though you'll need a set of later lug nuts and a new lug wrench also ! Do not forget new hub seals and gaskets etc. (RNK552).

awdbandito
01-30-2015, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the info!
Just to make sure I am correct. I should order the series III press in studs and lug nuts along with the seal kits below.
Then, I will have full lug nut engagement on the threads while running wolf wheels.

Thanks for the help. I'm new to Rovers so I'll probably be asking a lot of questions. And also ordering boxes'o'stuff.
J.D.

Should not be a problem to remove the hub, drill the threads out and press in the longer threads, though you'll need a set of later lug nuts and a new lug wrench also ! Do not forget new hub seals and gaskets etc. (RNK552).

SafeAirOne
01-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the info!
Just to make sure I am correct. I should order the series III press in studs and lug nuts along with the seal kits below.
Then, I will have full lug nut engagement on the threads while running wolf wheels.

Not sure how much "later" wheel studs Les was referring to, but the stock ones on my SIII don't fully engage the nut threads; Still they hold well, as I accidentally mentioned earlier.

Les Parker
01-31-2015, 09:06 AM
The # I was eluding to is FRC7577 Wheel Stud Def 130, specifically for the Wolf rims.
Proline are available, Special Order. Price would be around $12.00 each.