PDA

View Full Version : Hard Top Surrey Top?

REDrum
02-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Anyone ever seen a hard top surrey top type fabrication? i. e. support a hard top but remove side and rear panels type thing? I'm wondering what it may look like and how it may, or may not, work. I cannot find pictures anywhere, despite some extended searching.

Thnx

LaneRover
02-02-2015, 06:46 AM
At best you may be able to modify existing side panels - or you may NEED to actually manufacture some 'mounts' for it. Remember that the top is actually pretty heavy and needs to be supported not just against gravity but against all sorts of lateral movement.

Is there a reason why you don't want to do a canvas top with the sides rolled up?

SafeAirOne
02-02-2015, 07:30 AM
I thought I saw a pic of someone using square tubing to replace the hardtop sides for an open appearance with the hardtop roof still in place.

ignotus
02-02-2015, 12:59 PM
I guess it is all relative but IMHO the hardtops are not that heavy, awkward yes, I can pick up a 109 hardtop by myself and I'm 64. If I can post up the pick I have of a surry type I will. Hmmm...

Hey! I did it! I don't know the owner of the Rover.

LaneRover
02-02-2015, 01:48 PM
I guess it is all relative but IMHO the hardtops are not that heavy, awkward yes, I can pick up a 109 hardtop by myself and I'm 64.

Heavy in the sense of dealing with lateral motion etc . . . as in don't just pop it on a couple of uprights.

I think incorporated with a rollcage is the way to go.

REDrum
02-02-2015, 04:45 PM
I guess it is all relative but IMHO the hardtops are not that heavy, awkward yes, I can pick up a 109 hardtop by myself and I'm 64. If I can post up the pick I have of a surry type I will. Hmmm...Hey! I did it! I don't know the owner of the Rover.

Thanks! Very cool what he did but would be $5K of fabrication all in. Cost is a big issue with what I'm working on.

rwollschlager
02-03-2015, 01:03 PM
That 90 was built by Lane Farka, MightyMg1 or something on Pirate4x4. If I recall correctly, the cage was not tied into the roof. It was attached at the windshield and he used something like old axle shafts at each of the four corners of the tub to run up to the roof. I'm not sure if the old axle thing was a joke, as you could just as easily use any round stock/tubing of the right diameter. It could be done for very, very cheap.