PDA

View Full Version : Water Leak from Windscreen

clearcut
02-09-2015, 12:19 PM
I have a leak..

I sealed the outside edge of the windscreen. I sealed the rain gutter on the roof.

From the inside, I see that windscreen is bolted to the roof line. It has about 8 bolts. It looks like a seal is behind the long piece of metal that has a lip slips onto the frame of the windscreen

Am I looking at this right, that I can take out all the bots, and pull out that metal part that run along the top of the window frame and then replace the the seal? If true, how would you pull out that metal part?

I think what I am talking about is Weather Seal between windscreen and Hardtop

josh

LaneRover
02-09-2015, 12:35 PM
I used to switch between a p-up top and a soft top on my 109 P-up. I just started using Silicone sealer. I would make a circle around each bolt and also let it 'dry a bit' before bolting everything together. Seemed to work well for me. Might have been the one part of the truck that didn't leak.

Brent

SafeAirOne
02-09-2015, 04:09 PM
There's a flat rubber seal that fits into a recessed area on the upper forward surface of the windscreen frame. The roof, when tightened down by the fasteners along the top of the windscreen frame, compresses this flat rubber seal, thereby stopping water ingress. These seals flatten out and loose resiliency over time.

I use the term "stopping" pretty loosely, above.

warrenperkinson
02-10-2015, 02:38 AM

Very true... 😀

clearcut
02-10-2015, 09:03 AM
There's a flat rubber seal that fits into a recessed area on the upper forward surface of the windscreen frame. The roof, when tightened down by the fasteners along the top of the windscreen frame, compresses this flat rubber seal, thereby stopping water ingress. These seals flatten out and loose resiliency over time.

Hi Mark

How due you go about replacing this seal?

thanks

TravelinLight
02-10-2015, 09:42 AM
You will need to remove the bolts for the entire top and lift up to replace. It can be done with the top in place for the most part, but you need to remove the rear area bolts to allow you to pull the top up. Once you are there you just scrape the old one out and place the new one in with a little adhesive.

Tighten her all back up.

I have done this one before on my 88 without help. It was not pleasant on my back, but it can be done. I used 2x4s to prop the top up enough for me to work in the gap.

SafeAirOne
02-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Hi Mark

How due you go about replacing this seal?

What Sean says. Unless you are asking me personally, in which case I would reply: "I use the raincoat method."

;)

cedryck
02-20-2015, 11:26 AM
You mean it's not supposed to rain inside my series truck?