PDA

View Full Version : Screw mount for replacement lens

chuckstp
02-09-2015, 05:34 PM
I have in my possession two replacement lenses for my '64 IIA. These were ordered by my dad some years ago and never put on. The part number for one is 37H6111L which brings up a lens with the number PLB990. In the package there are two mounting screws, each with a small brass piece somewhat in the shape of a T. The original lenses are fitted with a self-tapping screw which goes into a white plastic cylinder in the lamp fixture, most of which have broken off.

My question is, how are these intended to be fixed to the vehicle? Judging by the length of the screw, it almost looks like they would need to protrude through the skin of the truck. My other problem at the moment is I managed to lose one already while trying to measure the threads which I assume are metric because they don't match a normal thread gauge. I don't suppose I'll be able to find it until I am able to improvise a replacement.

SafeAirOne
02-09-2015, 06:21 PM
If the assemblies are authentic from the 60s time period, I doubt they'll be metric threads. British perhaps, but not metric.

Les Parker
02-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Do you have some pix of the parts in question? It would be helpful.

chuckstp
02-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Well, I was hoping to avoid the picture for fear of losing more parts. So far they are back in the bag without additional loss.

The part in question is the brass piece attached to the end of the one screw.

o2batsea
02-10-2015, 06:11 PM
Those are regular old Lucas L621 lens assemblies. They don't make them new anymore since Lucas has been out of business for a long time. There are some sources of aftermarket and OE parts. Moss motors (http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=28938#top) still lists separate parts. You want item #8 on the list.
You can also get the whole assembly. They are used on a variety of British cars; Healeys and the AC Cobra to name a few.

Les Parker
02-11-2015, 09:30 AM
This style of lens fits the original fitted lamp on IIa's. If yours has plastic posts for the screws to fasten to, it would appear the originals have been replaced with the later Series III/ early Defender lamps (RNF188), see attachment.
http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=RTC5013&type=0&eq=&key=it
Let me know.

lumpydog
02-11-2015, 01:03 PM
I have one of those tiny brass fittings. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail if you need it.

You should be able to use the existing brass fitting from the chrome surround that the lens fits into. See pictures. I've circled (in black) where that brass fitting is used on a typical chrome lens surround.

If Les's thinking is accurate and you have newer plastic surrounds, you will need the older style/original chrome surrounds/backings to complete your pair of lenses. Rogers Motors sells old Lucas lenses and fittings. You might email them to see if they can get you just the chrome surrounds to pair with the lenses you have.

Charlie

chuckstp
02-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Thank you, that clears up most mysteries of the subject. The only one being why anyone would replace all of the originals with the plastic unless they are prone to rusting.

For the short term anyway, I simply need to have lenses applied along with glowing bulbs, and I'm sure I can improvise well enough to see that through. The electrics may be the last piece before I can consider getting it registered and inspected. After I have a running vehicle and am a little farther along with the task of putting my children through college, then I can see about helping to putt the fine children of Rovers North through as well. I am not quite half way with a total of 6 to see through.