PDA

View Full Version : Spare Tire on the Bonnet - Lightweight

Duckman
02-19-2015, 09:04 AM
OK, I did a search and while there are numerous posts about securing the spare on the bonnet for regular Series III's I couldn't find anything relating to Lightweights. I am about to put new tires on the Landy including the spare and this will be my first time removing it so a few questions. Does anyone sell replacement bonnet straps (RNC104)? I checked our sponsors and it says call for alternatives. Unlike civilian Series III's I don't think the Lightweights had any rubber bumpers to keep the spare off of the bonnet - can anyone confirm? Lastly, according to the Handbook the strap is the only means of retention - mine does have tall bolt but there is no type of hold down connected to it to keep the tire in place. Thanks.

cedryck
02-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Dare I mention here that Paddocks, and Craddocks in the UK most likely carry these , I apologize most sincerely for any not intended invasions to our lovely host,,

leafsprung
02-19-2015, 11:06 PM
I have the straps and bumpers new

Just A Number
02-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Mine definitely has the rubber bumpers and I've not seen one without them installed if the tire is carried on the hood.

jac04
02-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Definitely rubber bumpers and a "U" bolt in the center that sticks up thru the middle of the wheel to keep in in place. There is also a version of this part available with a pin that sticks up thru one of the lug holes - there are holes in the pin that can be used for a small padlock.

Here's the best picture I could find in my archives:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1759.jpg