PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Defroster / Heater

toga Rover
02-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Has anyone tried this little unit in their Series truck to defrost their windshield? It comes in at under $20, and might be worth a try.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAR-HEATER-Windshield-DEFROSTER-Defrost-Window-150W-12V-heats-Truck-Semi-cab-NEW-/161491252203

This year's winter has Upstate NY in quite a cold snap. My breath is fogging the windshield and my heater/defroster is woefully inadequate. My dashboard is so Swiss cheesy that little heat is making it to any of the vents, and I'm starting my search for alternatives to get me through til Spring.

LaneRover
02-24-2015, 09:32 AM
I have not tried that product. Anything I have tried that plugs into the cig lighter though has always been crap. To do much of any good I think you would need higher gauge wiring going to your cig lighter.

cedryck
02-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Sadly my windscreen defoggers work in a limited fashion. I have the separate scoops that sit right under each panel of glass. My best anti fogging strategy is a role of paper towels left on the front seats to wipe when necessary.

o2batsea
02-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Heated glass, my friend. That and a Kodiak or (our host's) Mansfield heaters.

clearcut
02-24-2015, 07:30 PM
I think I have the heated glass. How does one tell if it is working?

thanks

TeriAnn
02-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Heated glass, my friend. That and a Kodiak or (our host's) Mansfield heaters.

That's what I have and they work well in combination with vehicle insulation, Defender door seals and heated seats.

TeriAnn
02-25-2015, 10:59 AM
I think I have the heated glass. How does one tell if it is working?

thanks

When the windscreen is fogged up pull the switch and after a few minutes the windscreen will suddenly clear like magic. If there are bad wires you will see a band of still fogged up windscreen. The heat wires are not at the top or bottom so there will be a fogged band at the top & bottom.

If the fogged windscreen does not clear up it is time to get out the volt meter. Your circuit is switched 12V to switch to relay coil to ground. And switched 12V to relay switch, from relay switch through windscreen wires to ground. If any of the connections are bad the windscreen will not clear up.

A heated windscreen beats a Kodiak defrost every time.

cedryck
02-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Terry, why Defender door seals, instead of Series, ??

TeriAnn
02-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Terry, why Defender door seals, instead of Series, ??

VERY simple. They work better. back in the days of yore I purchased and installed a brand new Genuine LR Series door seals. They looked good but they still let lots of air & water through. After a few years I removed what was very good to excellent condition genuine Series door seals and replaced them with Defender door seals. I still have a small water leak at the top front of the door but the sealing is much improved. No noticeable air leaks and most of the water leaks are gone.

Land Rover has spent over 50 years refining the Series II land Rover. I see no reason not to take advantage of these refinements and consider the Defender door seals to be a good upgrade.

Jim-ME
02-26-2015, 03:19 AM
I'll second Teriann on using Defender door seals. They are one of the better things I've done to my rover.
Jim