PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Cable

bensdad
02-28-2015, 04:18 PM
Bought the new speedo cable through our hosts and thought gee how hard could this be? Like everything on my '60 Series 2 it is harder than it looks. How in the heck do you get to those three super small screws/bolts that secure the cable to the transfer case?
Thanks for any suggestions you could throw at me!!

SafeAirOne
02-28-2015, 04:32 PM
The easiest way is probably with a screw-holding screwdriver (http://www.amazon.com/Klein-SK234-3-Piece-Screw-Holding-Screwdriver/dp/B0002RIA3K).

The cheapest, most readily-available method would be to put a glob of the thickest grease you have available in the garage, onto the end of the screwdriver and stick the screw into it when you start each screw.

lumpydog
02-28-2015, 04:40 PM
Window glazing works well too!

bensdad
02-28-2015, 06:21 PM
Okay, so I got the three little bolts out and now I know why the speedo wasn't working. The square shaft inside the spring outer cover twisted or snapped off flush with the transfer case housing. It left the square shaft inside!!
Please don't tell me that I would have to take the hand brake drum, rear half shaft and inside seal off to get to it...maybe I don't really need a speedo? OMG

SafeAirOne
02-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Just use a powerful magnet to retrieve it, presuming it's flush with the hole.

PavementEnds
03-01-2015, 08:32 AM
For the cable install, I substituted 10/32 Allen head bolts for the tiny slotted screws -- made the nearly impossible job do'able.

SafeAirOne
03-01-2015, 10:05 AM
IIRC, the thread on the original screws are not a "normal" threads (like 10-28 or 10-32), but rather something oddball and British.

PavementEnds
03-01-2015, 12:50 PM
10/32 fit fine on mine, and the PO had not tapped it to something different. Mine is a 1973 S3. Still holding tight some years later.

bensdad
03-01-2015, 01:12 PM
Still working on getting the remaining piece out of the hole. It is really wound tight in there and there is nothing to grab. Will try some extra long fine tweezers. Of course it can't be easy.

lumpydog
03-01-2015, 05:37 PM
I wonder if a water pick would work... hydro/pressure it out

SafeAirOne
03-02-2015, 05:13 AM
10/32 fit fine on mine, and the PO had not tapped it to something different. Mine is a 1973 S3. Still holding tight some years later.

It's amazing how little information there is on the thread specs of these fasteners on the web. I only came up with one reference to the threads, and they were noted as 2BA threads (http://www.britishfasteners.com/threads/) which are somewhat similar to 10-32's:

BA threads have an included thread angle of 47.5 degrees as opposed to a 10-32's 60-degree included angle.
2BA threads have a pitch of 31.4 threads per inch vs. the 32 TPI (of course) on a 10-32 fastener.

Though the contact pattern and pitch are wrong, with the length of the fastener being only about a quarter inch, I can see how a 10-32 could be used in place of the 2BA screw, as you've successfully done for some time now.

FWIW, British Tools and Fasteners sells a variety of different styles of fasteners in 2BA, 1/4" length, some easier to stay on the installation tool than others:

http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php/categories/steel-screws

andrew
03-07-2015, 10:37 AM
I was able to get mine out using some dental tools and a tweezers. I keep a set around for jobs like this. I think I bought them off ebay cheap.

bensdad
03-11-2015, 06:41 PM

Okay, got the SofaB out of the transfer case. Sheared off the pin from the speedo cable. I got the new cable in switching to hex bolts to make it simpler to get in. 10/32's I think.
Of course, the speedo doesn't work. It bounces around. Since the speedo is ancient and the face is very old I guess I have the following options:
1. buy a new one
2. send in to be redone
3. replace w a stock speedo or MG guage

What are your experiences and or suggestions??? Thanks for all the help to get it out!!

SafeAirOne
03-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Is the new cable lubricated?

bensdad
03-11-2015, 07:33 PM
uh oh. Just bought it from our hosts where do you apply lubrication and what kind? OR the answer is no.

SafeAirOne
03-11-2015, 10:12 PM
uh oh. Just bought it from our hosts where do you apply lubrication and what kind? OR the answer is no.

Perhaps someone else will tell what they use; You're asking the guy who's 5 year old speedo cable has been broken for the last few years due to due to lack of lubricant. Someday I'll get around to fishing that little piece of cable out of my transfer case too. :(

lumpydog
03-12-2015, 05:14 AM
This article can help (http://triumph.daveola.com/NOTES/Speedo_Repair.pdf) you get the problem sorted out. It talks about how to lubricate the cable and also other potential sources of your problem.

o2batsea
03-12-2015, 05:30 AM
I like swivel housing grease. SAE 00.

slowmo
03-12-2015, 11:51 AM
My speedo bounces around quicker than a politician changes which side of his mouth he talks from. I will likely get it rebuilt someday, but honestly, why does a Series Rover need a speedo anyway? Do you need to know how slow you are going? It should actually be call a slowdometer for our trucks. I'm going to paste a picture of a turtle over mine until I win the lottery.

The only time I pass any vehicle is when they are parked. The only way I could ever get a speeding ticket is if I zoom through a school zone. I'm not worried about the kids though. They will hear me coming 5 minutes before I get there.

cedryck
03-12-2015, 01:26 PM
SloMo, that is hysterical. A slowdometer, just awesome. The only people I pass are standing, not driving.

bensdad
03-12-2015, 04:27 PM
I hear ya slowmo. If I don't get it working it will join the long list of unfinished or incomplete parts on this thing.